Chapter 19 is where we finally start to work on something that will make it look like an airplane; the wings!!! After a long, long, long layoff, I am finally starting to build again in May 2012.

Foam core cutting


The first step is to cut the blocks of styrofoam to correct sizes for subsequent wing core cutouts. I seem to have adjusted the temperature correctly to get the famous angel hair at the end of the cut. Things still work after a period of inactivity. Hooray.
I wanted to get started quickly so I tried to make do with some leftover styrofoam blocks from before even though they were not  rectangles with parallel sides top and bottom. I am also a bit of a cheapskate and did not want to have to buy new material. It might have been smart to at least make the top and bottom parallel. In fact, this was a bad decision, I should just have sprung for the new styrofaom. You can see the little "covers" to protect the trough cutouts during the initial hotwiring. The first time, I didn't try to use these and had a "rough" edge on the troughs. I learned though and am now using the "covers". Inicidentally, the aluminum forms were all made by fellow cozy builder Jean-Pierre ALAGNOUX who has lent them to me for my use. Good to have a fellow cozy builder nearby.
Same view as above but BL 118.25
As was said in the plans, I had to add a small block to the front for the section between BL118.25 and BL169.
Here I have made the initial cuts for the section between BL67.5 and BL118.25. I have also added the templates for cutting out the electrical access hole.
A little mistake on the section between BL169 and BL118.25. I cut the access hole correctly at BL169 but, ...
Incorrectly at BL118.25 where I measured from the leading edge and not from the trough. OOPS. The hole should be where I made a red filled circle. Will have to add this hole and fill in the old one.
Finally, all the cores have been cut and most of the secondary work on the cores has been finished with the notable exception of the "hollow" root section (the shell with 0.6" thickness). Have to get a move on it and put these cores together to avoid "hangar rash".
Once again, (seems monotonous now), a big thanks to Jean-Pierre for letting me use the foam wing supports that he made. It's good to have someone building a cozy nearby but even better if they are a year or two ahead of you in construction!!! Everything has been leveled in both senses as shown in the manual. I suspect that it is not that important because we will ensure that it is warp free later on in the build process.
Here it is after all the sections of the trailing portion of the wing have been joined. Impossible to take photos during the build process unless I would have been willing to goop up the camera with resin and microballoons. A few things to note:
  • Even with close attention to detail, the angles of the foam wing cores were not perfect and needed some sanding to ensure a good fit.
  • The forms are not perfect fits so I chose the top of the wing as the reference. (e.g. , made sure that the wing was pulled forward agains the forms)
  • The aileron cutout is a pain in the kiester.
  • I used tape to keep the micro from oozing out of the joints where the fit was not perfect.
  • All parts were held in place with screws during the initial curing.
The aileron cutout is held in place with screws.
The tape to stop the "oozing" problem.
Foam cores pulled forward against the supports.
Lots of scrap (and a few forward wing parts).
Making a few metal pieces.
The "hollow" section has been joined. In the background, you can see the "hollow" for tool access for the bolts.
Here is the "hollow" for tooled access with the BI ni place but not yet trimmed. Sure is ugly but it comes clean nicely.
All cleaned up.
All metal pieces in place. I have also added the 45° angle marks to guide me during the shear web installation.



Everything set up and ready to put the shear web in place. I really wish that I had more space to work but ....
The shear web has been applied! What a long layup. It ended up taking me about 7 hours. I was a little anal about getting things done correctly. Yes, that is a french newspaper.
Viewed from the other side, things are looking good.
Just putting the leading edge on to see how everything fits. A few gaps here and there but nothing dramatic.
Everything secured in place with the jigs and curing nicely.