Chapter 4 is the first chapter to make "real" parts for the cozy. In order to save money, the foam for most formers is made by gluing together several small pieces. These pieces are glued together using the "hinge" technique to avoid getting epoxy resin where it is not wanted. After the fuselage formers foam outlines have been made, fiberglass and resin layouts are applied according to the plans. Prior to applying the first layer of fiberglass, the foam is treated with a coating of wet micro slurry to fillin the holes and improve adhesion between the foam and fiberglass.

Laying out the foam. Don't know why the photo turned out to have a yellow cast. It reminds me of using regular color film without tungsten lights and no blue filter to correct the cast. (yes, I'm old enough to remember "wet" cameras and almost old enough to say that they were better)
Cutting out the formers was a real pain in the rear end. I ended up using an x-acto knife and a metal straight edge. You can also see the beginnings of "hinges" being applied here to glue the pieces of the former together.
A close up of the hinge. Tape is applied over the entire back of the joint and to each side of the joint on the other side. Epoxy is poured between the two pieces to be joined and the excess wiped off when the piece is laid flat.
A little better picture of the hinge.
Dada's helper for cutting fiberglass. The yellow and blue wing in the back is from an old RC sig kavalier that I built with my father when I was 10 years old. My boy is getting an early start.
Lower firewall with holes but front side has not yet been glassed.
I have read and been told that the bolts used to hold on the pulleys are potential trouble. It seems that if they are tightened too hard, they tend to rotate, even if you have filed the round heads flat. This is a real mess because there is essentially no access to these bolts after construction is completed. I welded on some squares of metal to the bolt heads so that the bolt head is flush with the metal plate and firewall front. I then dug out some holes in the firewall with a wod chisel to accept the assemblies. This reminded me of 5th grade shop class.
Bolt assemblies installed but no fiberglass on the firewall yet.This work was done on the 8th of October, almost 2 years after the plans were purchased and about a year and a half after the other parts of chapter 4. I should have just done this step rather than worrying about it for so long.