Author Topic: Vari-eze on ebay  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Vwings

• View Profile
Vari-eze on ebay
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the Vari eze on e-bay. The one painted like a fighter. It looks like a good buy??

Offline eric r

• View Profile
ez
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:25 AM »
It's being sold by an airplane broker who, like all vehicles sales pros, tells it like you want to hear it and refers to "the numbers" published by others. It may very well be a good deal. Like all homebuilt purchases, approach with knowledge from an expert in construction and operation.
Look at the Q&A's on the ebay listing; "splitting hairs"isn't in the weight and balance section of the POH. Like all auction purchased items, you must buy it right with enough reserve to make it right if needed.

Offline NWade

• View Profile
Vari-eze on ebay
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:28:45 AM »
You can always search the forums (the link is near the top of the page) for David Orr's contact information.  He keeps track of most of the Canards out there and can probably get information on this plane, or help you find the Rutan bird of your dreams.  He charges a small finder's fee for connecting buyers and sellers - but I think its worth it; he's been doing it for awhile and gets lots of positive comments from folks that know him.

Good luck!

--Noel

Offline allen

• View Profile
    • http://gallery.catacus.com/allen
Vari-eze on ebay
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:55:56 PM »
Having recently gone through this process and getting sc#$d I can personally tell you that as a new buyer you need to enploy the services of others. Do not take the seller at their word!!

I would highly suggest using David Orr to find a plane and then paying for an inspection before committing to anything.

I am writting up my experiance "2000 ways to not buy a canard" and hope to have it up soon. Hopfully it will help others avoid my costly mistake.
Allen
Long-Ez N701DS
1998 O-320 160HP
http://www.freewebs.com/wonderingwingnut

Offline Delta Mike

• View Profile
Vari-eze on ebay
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »
Hiring a person to inspect can be just as much an unknown as the plane itself. You may find somone who overrates their capability to inspect as much as the seller may be overrating the airplane.

There's always going to be unknowns.
Daudi Barnes
Long-EZ 17LE
Durango CO

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
Vari-eze on ebay
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 04:39:03 AM »
Daudi speaks the truth.  
In terms of hiring an A&P to inspect the plane----for the most part they will only look at the engine----which is ok with me.  The big point is for the seller to be paying the A&P----not the other way around.  The BUYER should pay the A&P to give him the straight scoop on the engine.  

If you are not familiar with the type of airframe, it helps to get friends who are familiar to come take a look----but no guarantee either----but much much better than nothing at all.

In my mind, things that really make the sale---and add value to the airplane

-Seller reputation (as a person----honesty and integrity) (run if this is the seller)
-Seller reputation (as a builder or maintainer)----I would avoid buying from an owner who does not know how to maintain his airplane-----does not know how to install intercoms----does not know how to do fiberglass repair---in general, does not know how to do anything to the plane but fill it up with gas (run if this is the seller)
-Builder logs---want to add value to the plane?----have pictures and documentation of your build process.  (I would not run----but I would use this criteria to justify a higher price)
-Logbooks--things should be documented correctly in the logbooks.  I would not run due to a lack of a transponder check---but I would run if 17 years of conditionals were signed off by the owner who was not the builder----illegal.  In that case you are about to jump into an unairworthy airplane.  The plane becomes legal when the A&P signs off on it----but that is a lot of illegal flying.  There is nothing wrong with the owner inspecting the airframe and having an A&P come in to inspect the engine---and confirm that the airframe did get inspected.  However, A&Ps have to be careful---they are responsible for that sign-off.  A&Ps should not sign off an inspection if they don't trust that the owner knows what he is doing---after all---the A&P is sticking his neck out.  
Logbooks should also be current, neat, orderly, and document all the maintenance.  The guy who does not log every time he fills up with oil just decreased value in his plane in my eyes.  How much does the plane burn---don't know.  What else is not being documented?

There is nothing wrong with buying junk-----even buying junk at a premium price (free country).  There is something wrong with selling junk----and not advertising it as junk.

There is something wrong with every plane out there.  When I sell a plane (or a car), I document every known problem I can think of on a piece of paper and have the buyer sign it.  My last list was long----it had every scratch, flaw, things that still needed to be done listed.  In the end, I feel the list protects me.  Don't want to have a buyer come back to me and tell me that something is not right.
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML