Author Topic: Resin for a Cozy III Roncz canard project?  (Read 5723 times)

Damon Meyer

Resin for a Cozy III Roncz canard project?
« on: January 18, 2005, 12:20:50 PM »
Hi all,

I'm taking on my first composite project - a Roncz canard to replace the GU canard on my Cozy III. I found a local fellow who has a Cozy III under construction, and he's willing to walk me through the whole thing while we build two identical canards - mine plus a second try at his - he's not 100% satisfied with his original Roncz canard (bubbles and/or light colored voids developed in the layup while curing). Question is, what resin to use? Aircraft Spruce catalog says "MGS systems are used in the construction of the Cozy, Diamond, Cirrus, and other aircraft" but it looks like Aeropoxy is about 1/2 the price! Yakes' non-owner guide refers to "Saf-T-Poxy" and "EZ-Poxy". EZ=Poxy is also available at Spruce, but pricey.

Recommendations?

Offline JMS

• View Profile
Resin for a Cozy III Roncz canard project?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Hi Damon,

I use EZ-Poxy. Saftey Poxy is no longer made but EZ-Poxy is a direct replacement for it (same epoxy different manufacturer). The only thing I dont like about it is the hazmat charge. I live in Dallas, wish I could find a local place that carried it but no luck so far. I have not used Poly Poxy or MGS the only other epoxies I have use are far too expensive for a homebuilt.

Trevor

Resins
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:44:39 PM »
Remember that one kit of MGS epoxy makes six quarts (gallon of resin, two quarts of hardener.)  I am into my fourth kit of MGS and I am most satisfied with the lack of odor when laying up or sanding a layup.  In really cold weather, I have been able to complete a layup on my dining room table without any noticeable smell (the wife was not home!)
Trevor

Anonymous

Re: Resins
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:37:46 AM »
Quote from: "Trevor"
Remember that one kit of MGS epoxy makes six quarts (gallon of resin, two quarts of hardener.)  I am into my fourth kit of MGS and I am most satisfied with the lack of odor when laying up or sanding a layup.  In really cold weather, I have been able to complete a layup on my dining room table without any noticeable smell (the wife was not home!)
Trevor

Another question: is MGS OK to use for fuel tanks? Nothing to do with my canard, but the other fellow who is building a canard is also going to build his strakes, we're planning to go in together on epoxy and it would be nice to have one type.

Anonymous

Re: Resins
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:58:28 PM »
Yes, MGS is okay to use with fuel tanks, or any other part on the airframe.

Note that MGS has been certified for use in production of certified aircraft parts.

Read up on MGS using the internet/google.  There is a wealth of information on this product freely available, much of it written in plain language.  

Also check out some of the many Cozy IV builder sites available online...you will likely find most all your questions answered using these sites.

Offline NWade

• View Profile
...A bit off-topic, but...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »
Okay, so this is a bit off-topic; but I thought I'd share it with you, since I find it amazing:

My Cousin up near Seattle owns a 40' Sailboat.  She was built in 1959 as an open-ocean racer, and had much success on the San Diego-to-Hawaii & San-Francisco-to-Acapulco races in the 60's.  She's still raced some in local events and does quite well.  

She's of wood construction, but one of her builders was an early pioneer of Resins & Fiberglass (he made the first fiberglass body-casts for hosiptals).  He made her two 50-gallon Diesel fuel-tanks with polyester resin in 1959.  He didn't want the leakage problems or "breakability" of a glass sight-gauge, so he made one spot on the tank thin, so a light could be shined through to view the fuel-level.

After 45 years of being around saltwater and filled with Diesel fuel, I helped install a mechanical fuel-gauge in a spare filler-cap; and was astounded that these tanks are still going strong with no leaks!  Any doubts in my mind about the long-term viability of fiberglass composites - even as a fuel-tank-material - were erased.

Take care,

--Noel

Andrew Douglas

Cozy III Roncz plans?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:06:32 AM »
Damon;

Only peripherally replated to your question:

Where did you get plans/templates for the Roncz canard for the III?

I'm considering the purchase of a Cozy III project that has a GU canard, and may want to build a Roncz at some point.

I have Cozy IV plans, but I assume that a canard built to those plans is not applicable to the III. Could I use the Cozy IV templates for the canard airfoil, and keep other dimensions per the III plans?

I asked Nat, but he did not answer the question directly...he only said "I never built a Roncz for the III."

Thanks