Author Topic: Mounting a canard from another aircraft  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Hank Clark

• View Profile
Mounting a canard from another aircraft
« on: March 21, 2005, 02:07:40 PM »
According to the plans, the canard angle of incidence is critical.  Zero for the Long, and .6 degrees up for the Vari.  

I have a nice canard to mount on my project Long EZ, but it seems like it came from another aircraft.  ( It was finish painted while the rest of the entire aircraft was not even primed.)  Also, the mounting pins match  the holes nicely but the result is far from level.  The lift tabs were corroded and have been replaced, and have yet to be drilled.

Now, since I don't have the original incidence block for this canard I'm left guessing as to just what is zero incidence.  The bottom of the airfoil is not a straight line, so I could be a few degrees off when I'm done. :cry:
The bushings in the mounting holes popped right out, so I think I can move the holes with no problem.  But how can I measure the angle of incidence?

As always, I appreciate any and all the wisdom I have read on this board. Thanks again  :!:

Hank Clark
Located in Fort Edward NY. I bought my O-320 Long EZ as a 90% complete project.  After three years of rebuilding it is now 90% complete.  Currently flying my 1946 J-3 Cub.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »
While the canard is certainly not the easiest part to make, I would seriously consider building a new one.  

Different people have different comfort levels, but I would be suspect of the canard.  It's one thing to have not built it, and quite another that the tabs corroded out (enter tangent discussion on using CR steel tabs).  Now the incidence is in question.

Given that the materials to build a new one 'only' cost a few hundred dollars, I might just build a new one.

You do have a very rough gauge of what the incidence 'might' be once the plane is flying.  This rough gauge is to observe the level of the elevators at different airspeeds.  If you eventually fly with this canard, you should read up on this issue.  It has been written about in the CPs, and has been described in the accident discussion of one modified Cozy IV that entered a deep stall after the canard was installed with insufficient incidence (coupled with a likely aft CG which caused the accident plane to enter an unrecoverable deep stall during test maneuvering).

Sorry if I don't have much wisdom to throw out here.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:16:17 AM »
There is a link somewhere to someones webpage that has the Canard incidence Template on it,,

Sorry I cant be more help! I do have the template, and if you want I can Mail you a copy..

I think you should just build a new canard, its a fair bit of work, but I think youll rest eze knowing that its done right. + the added bonus is you can build a Roncz Canard and not worry about the rain fade!

Good luck.

Offline rutanfan

• View Profile
Roncz Canard
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:59:44 AM »
Hank. I'm currently building/installing a Roncz on my Long-ez. If you choose to build one yourself, you're looking at least $600 in materials. I just purchased all of the materials. The Brock parts alone came to $387.20 (not including shipping.) My Aircraft Spruce bill was about $250 (which included a hand riveter as I needed one, but the price does not include any uni, bid or epoxy as I already had enough.)

Contact me offline if you need help with the incidences. I have some material that may be useful. Also, let me know if you have AutoCAD.

rutanfan@yahoo.com

Ray