Author Topic: SDEZ Squadron March '05 Meeting  (Read 13888 times)

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
SDEZ Squadron March '05 Meeting
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:41:52 AM »
The bi-monthly San Diego EZ Squadron meeting will be held on Thursday, March 17th at 6:30 PM, at the Casa Machado restaurant at Montgomery Field - a week later than our usual second Thursday meeting night.

The January meeting had the best turnout in quite a long while, and the Squadron is again picking up momentum.  Indeed, the group was too large for the usual dining area, and it was obvious that something better is needed.  In particular, we had a number of possible discussion topics for the last meeting that didnít get covered because of the relatively poor setting.  So the plan is to move the group out to the enclosed patio/meeting area of the restaurant.  

For many years SDEZ Squadron meetings were rather well organized affairs that ultimately ran longer than some members liked.  Then the format shifted to relatively small social dinners with only a few, long-time EZ pilots in attendance.  I think that with a new crop of builders coming aboard, something between these two meeting models is desirable.  In particular, I think that we need to better focus on addressing the interests, questions and needs of new builders, so we will set aside some time to give new members a chance to properly introduce themselves (what they are building or flying, construction issues, etc.) and to get the groupís input (time, place and content) on how to make future Squadron meetings both valuable and enjoyable for all.  

Bring your questions if you are thinking of building, and your construction issues if you currently are building.  Share your latest improvements and flying stories if you are flying.  And don't forget to bring your best gal (or guy if he's the back seater)!  With any luck, Bill Ingram will bring his new cowl for show-and-tell.

Dan Patch (DeltaPop)
SDEZ Squadron Safety Officer
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Offline crouch

• View Profile
Cowl
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 11:33:36 AM »
Dan, you mentioned a new cowl. I've been trying to locate a updraft- low drag LEZ O-320 cowl w/ no luck--any leads you might have w/b appreciated. Thx, steve

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 06:40:46 PM »
Steve,

The new cowl is being fabricated by hanger mate, Bill Ingram for his O-235 VariEze.  It is based on cowls developed and flown by Lynn Erickson (Evolution EZ) and Bill Oertel (O-320, VariEze) up in Chino, CA, who have helped Ingram on what has been a pretty extensive modification effort to try something new that has Bill pretty excited.  The cowl is mounted and painted, but it's going to be another month or so before show time; and then probably more time after that to sort out how-goes-it, and any problems/changes that need to be made.  Basically, it is an up-draft design with a NACA scoop on the bottom for carb air and some cooling around the case, and ram air inlets under the strakes, a-la Berkut, for cylinder cooling. It's a bit like an open-ended boat-tail design, but not a lot.  Oertel is very happy with his cowl; and with an O-320 pushing it, Oertel's VEZ isn't slow!

Part of the package is a new 4 into 1 exhaust system that has progressed to the Round 2, tweeking-to-fit-right stage in Ingram's VEZ.  The exhaust exits just below the prop on fuselage centerline.  Bill still has to rebaffle parts of the engine once the final exhaust configuration is set.  

Adding a starter didn't speed up Bill's construction timetable.   :)
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
I checked with the Casa folks and signed the Squadron up for the enclosed patio area.  Currently we are the only group on their calendar for the 17th, so we should have a better meeting/eating environment.  Hope that we have a decent turnout, but hey, the Squadron belongs to its members, so you'all are in charge.   :)
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
Hey Dan

I was hoping to come down last night for the March meeting but family obligations kept me from attending.  Will there be one in April ?  I would be flying my Long down from Hawthorne, the resturant is at the airport isn't it ?  

Thanks

Jeff Gabrielson
Long ez N141 550 hours

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »
Hey Dan

I was hoping to come down last night for the March meeting but family obligations kept me from attending.  Will there be one in April ?  I would be flying my Long down from Hawthorne, the restaurant is at the airport isn't it ? Jeff...

Jeff, I'm sorry we missed you, but next time!?!

The question of how often was best for meetings was discussed - without complete resolution (i.e., opinions remained mixed).  

For many years (>20) the SDEZ Squadron met once a month.  Then interest seemed to taper off as fewer squadron members were building - one of the main focuses of the original group being construction issues, sharing techniques and tools, etc.  Anyhow, we dropped back to every other month.  It isn't clear that this had a big impact on attendance one way or the other.  For some, once a month was too much, so they dropped out altogether; for others if it wasn't a regular event (monthly), it fell off their calendar.  (Darned if you do, danged if you don't?)

So anyhow, one member was strongly in favor of going back to once a month.  Some  others questioned whether we wouldn't just be back to "over doing it again".  In my mind, the big problem with once a month is that it's not practical to put together a well organized program (with a speaker, avionics demo., etc., etc. [particularly if I'm the only one doing it]) that folks who are coming a long distance sort of expect.  They come and enjoy the food and talk, but conclude that they didn't get a lot of new information, and then we don't see them again - which isn't the direction that we want to go.  

So here's where we left it.  At least for some of us (like me) it's easy to get to the Casa Machado.  We like the beer, the food's OK, and EZ pilots/builders are our type of folks; so we are going to give the once-a-month format another shot for at least eats and tall tales.  I would like to make an extra effort to have a more formal, better organized (e.g., publicized and with speaker/show-and-tell) format every other meeting (odd months) or perhaps quarterly.  Please keep your eye on this forum while we (me?) figure out what, when and where for the next meeting.  I'll try to make a better effort to give a decent interval for a 'heads-up' on what's the plan.  Also, send me your email address to: dpatch1 at san dot rr dot com & I'll let you know what's happening.  

In answer to your other question - Yes, the restaurant is right at transient parking at the airport and you can park your plane within 100 feet of the tables - 50 ft if you're lucky!  That's a main reason for meeting there, so folks can fly in, and summer is coming!

So here's my short take on the March meeting:

1) Meeting attendance was not quite up to the Jan. '05 meeting, but pretty good, and enthusiasm for the squadron is up!  We had two new builders and a guest, and I know of several more new builders that couldn't come for one reason or another (e.g., off skiing).

2) There is a lot of interest in daytime/weekend events; e.g., look at a project, mini-fly-ins/fly-outs, etc.  We are going to pursue this idea with our June picnic and EZ weigh-in (mark out Sat. the 18th, Brown Field, San Diego on your calendar); informal flights to Big Bear, Chiriaco Summit, Borrego and ???; formation training flights; etc.  

3) Bill Ingram brought his new VariEze cowl for show-and-tell and it looks great!

4) We had the whole enclosed-patio area of the restaurant to ourselves and it was a HUGE improvement over being in the noise of the main restaurant - SCORE!

5) Everyone got a chance to update the group on who they were, and what they were building/flying.  It was great to get back to this tradition!

6) We are going to get (we hope :) ) our good ez.org webmaster to put up a spot on the site for SDEZ members to post their weekend destinations/events/news/etc so we can link up activities better.  I'm going to seriously hassle SDEZ Sq. members who don't bother to look at the site until they do!   :o

7) We (re)discovered the fact that there are four quite active EZ mini-groups in the San Diego area - they just need to be connected.

The SDEZ Squadron has always been run by & for its members, so it's yours, guys.  Since 1976 we have held exactly zero elections and elected exactly zero officers.  So comments, ideas, suggestions, or ?? to make the Squadron better?  Fire away!
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Offline swinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 10:45:33 AM »
I was at the meeting and wanted to check in here to let you know I'm looking.  Still a builder on the Long-EZ Brian, Bill  & I were working on a nose gear installation on Sunday.  Brian & Bill did most of the work  8) , I just hooked up a couple of wires.

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 11:49:34 AM »
Quote from: "swinn"
I was at the meeting and wanted to check in here to let you know I'm looking...

Excellent!  I'll take your name off the "hassle list" and put it on the "good guy list"!  Avery responded that he'd do whatever was needed on the site to help out the squadron.  We'll be sending a couple of emails back and forth to  see what will work best.  If ya got ideas, chime in.  BTW, I redid the meeting head count and it was within one of the Jan mtg. count, so we're doing OK.   :)

Still a builder on the Long-EZ Brian, Bill  & I were working on a nose gear installation on Sunday.  Brian & Bill did most of the work  8) , I just hooked up a couple of wires...

Talked to Bill yesterday - sounded like progress has really started to pick up on the LEZ.  Bill said that old black primer will be coming off for better paint - good idea, you want the best paint possible since repainting isn't fun!  

Bill sent a photo of his new cowl mounted on the N75WR and it looks great.  I would have joined you guys at the hanger after the meeting, but it was time for patient wife to head back the barn.  'Sides, my ship is home for paint.  I got in a good weekend of work on the gear fairings - fininished shaping them an got 'em glassed, both sides.  Big job! - but came out better than I thought it might.  Lots of work left with fill and finish, plus gotta fabricate fairings at the fueslage and wheel pants.  Then comes the repainting fun.   :(
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Offline swinn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »
Yes, we saw Bill's cooling setup over at his hangar, it looks like a nice setup.  My SIL hadn't ever seen a VEZ, so she got to see two.  Brian, where you at?  You going to check out the forum?

Next meeting I'll bring out our panel mockup for show & tell.  It is just a masonite cutout but it is fun to look at and imagine it full of instruments.

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »
Next meeting I'll bring out our panel mockup for show & tell.  It is just a masonite cutout but it is fun to look at and imagine it full of instruments...  

You're on for the panel at the next meeting!  Avery is working out a site format for the Squadron, and emails have been bouncing around.  I'll email everyone when something is firm, and start riding the slackers to get on the stick and log in.  DP
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Brian Brown

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »
I'm here all.  I haven't posted anything before, but am always looking around.  I finished floxing everything in place last night for the electric noselift, and wanted to wait two days before final mounting because of the cold weather.

I see that I have a new deadline for getting our updated panel cutout for the next meeting.  - No problem.  I guess it's time to order all the other instruments as well.  There goes the bank.

Also, don't forget to add some way of letting us know who has a seat available in their ez when going to fly-in events 8)

Offline Dan Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 05:36:15 PM »
Quote from: "Brian Brown"
I'm here all.  I haven't posted anything before, but am always looking around...

OK, you got yourself off the "hassle list" too.

I finished floxing everything in place last night for the electric noselift, and wanted to wait two days before final mounting because of the cold weather...

Good idea to wait for a good cure unless you know that the part won't be loaded because partially cured parts can creep/warp under load - not good!  

I see that I have a new deadline for getting our updated panel cutout for the next meeting.  - No problem.  I guess it's time to order all the other instruments as well.  There goes the bank...

Deciding when to order instrumentation is a tricky issue, sometimes.  Best not to buy until you are getting close to needing it, as new stuff comes out, prices go down, warranties run out with stuff still in the box, etc.  I know guys who jumped the gun and ended up with semi-obsolete equipment, or they changed their ideas on what they wanted in the panel after looking at other EZs.  On the other hand, wait too long and it can hold you up.

Also, don't forget to add some way of letting us know who has a seat available in their ez when going to fly-in events...  

Good reminder!  Beagle calls these "spirit rides" - to get the builder's spirits up!   :D
DeltaPop
VariEze N862DP
(@1970 hrs)

Offline swinn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 03:50:11 PM »
I've been working on the blueprints for my shop.  Hope to get them finished up this Sat.  Need to get that building built so we have more room to work!

I was reading a post on another site that said that the wilhelmson nose lift in its latest version has a switch that makes the manual crank easier to turn.  I assume it disconnects the motor electrically from the control circuitry.  I don't recall a switch of this type on our lift?  Had you heard about that Brian?