Author Topic: Oil Filter for Lycoming  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Oil Filter for Lycoming
« on: April 09, 2005, 05:55:51 AM »
I'd like to add an oil filter to my Long-EZ's Lycoming O-235-L2C but balk at the prices of most offerings.  Question, please: Does anyone have experience with an automotive remote oil filter mount such as Canton Racing Products' part number 22-620 (see <http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/adapters/remote_filter.html#cast)>?

Obviously, it would have to be plumbed into an oil cooler line but which one (inlet or outlet)?  And how does that compare to the normal method of mounting a filter in place of the oil screen housing?  Are there any other downsides to using a remote oil filter adapter?  What to do about a vernatherm valve?

So many questions ...  :-)

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Anonymous

Oil Filter for Lycoming
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 08:24:47 AM »
I use the system that you described. The adapter thing that the oil filter screws on to is from an old VW. A standard Fram CH48108 screws right on to it.

NOTE: The only time oil goes through the filter is when the oil is hot enough to open the varitherm. Your not filtering 100% of the oil flow, but in my opinion,  this is superior to what you have now. The filter will catch the big chunks, the filter will catch the small chunks. Do 50 hour oil chanbges, but check the screen also.

WARNING: Use ONLY aircraft oil filters. The oil pressure at this point could reach several hundred psi. Cheap automotive oil filters could burst under these pressures.

In automotive engines, the oil pressure regulator is normally an integral part of the oil pump assembly.

Waiter

In lycoming engines, the oil pressure regulator is independent of the oil pump, and is actually located after the cooler. Pump pressure could easily reach several hundred psi, especially when the oil is cold and thick.

Anonymous

Oil Filter for Lycoming
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:12:43 AM »
This may be an old wive's tale, but it has been suggested not to use some of the cast adapters for fear or vibration/fatigue and instead use a machined billet adapter (still auto, not aviation).  This may specifically apply to the typical ~Empi VW cast adapters that look as though they were cast on someone's stove, (heavy as sin, too) see:

http://www.concept1.ca/images/EMPI%20OIL%20FILTER%20ADAPTER%2000-9244-0.gif

I have personally seen several of the above adapters on aircraft including Ezs, but I would use a machined type instead, if only for piece of mind.

Agreed on the use of aviation filters only, for the reasons stated.

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
Lycoming Oil Filter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
Check out Ken Miller's web site.
He has a very reasonable oil filter adaptor.

WWW.long-ez.com/

Easyrider