Author Topic: propeller  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Reb Wallace

• View Profile
    • ultralightdreamcatchers
propeller
« on: May 26, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I am thinking about getting a prince p tip prop for my verieze 0-200 but need more info about this prop being used on a pusher does anyone have info on it and is  2 blade better than 3 blade

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Propellor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:35:04 AM »
I do not know but have been told that the 3 blade is quiter.

The 3 blade certainly is more expensive.

Beware:   I made some nice cowling but now I have to shorten
the cowling a bit; I cannot get the cowling on the engine with the
propellor in place because the 3rd blade interfers.   That would
not have happened with a 2 blade.    :cry:

A 2 blade is better as a spare because you can leave it with a
friend and get him to ship it to you when you are down somewhere.

Hertzler and Catto make good propellors.   I don't know about
other ones.

Bruce Hughes   :D
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired
taught at Maui Community College

Offline ezcherry

• View Profile
propeller
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »
stick with the 2 blade.  it's a much better prop for the o-200.  there are multiple companies that make props still.  hertlzer isn't taking anymore orders this year. prince p has a 10 week waiting time as of 1 week ago. LSE doesn't make anymore, great american, catto, sterba, and more that i can't thin of still make.  the benefits for the o-200 with a 2-3 blade prop benefit the 2 blade.  with hand proping clearance to engine failure drag.  the 2 blade prop is just better.  i've got a ted henderickson spare prop now as i just got a LSE prop from some that gave up on his project.  so i made out on that one.  this prop is going to get me over 200mph.  with the henderickson i was at 191.  i'm thinking about seeling that prop but i'm not sure right now as i may need a spare if anything happens.  i'm going through major mads right now.  i'm updating my varieze finally.  so really the choiceis yours.  but i haven't seen to many 3 balded o-200 varieze out the and actually none on production models.  so there's a reason for that.  stick with the 2 blade.
just my 2 nickels
daniel
N81JC, VEZE, O-200 9.6 pistons, LSE Prop 61.3X76 and alot more. 180knot cruise. #60 SARL.

Offline Barney

• View Profile
    • http://www.negotiationscoach.com
Propeller
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I've had a Prince P-Tip on my VEZE, O-200, for over a year - my fourth prop; and I'm very satisfied with it.

Also, Lonnie Prince is a "prince" of a guy to do business with.

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
    • http://www.sandiegocadcam.com
prop
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 02:46:23 PM »
Does Prince have a web site?
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline Barney

• View Profile
    • http://www.negotiationscoach.com
propeller
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
    • http://www.iflyez.com
propeller
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
Check:

http://www.princeaircraft.com/index.html

I know Lonnie personally, he lives about ten miles west of me in Waterville.

I had one of his propellers many years ago. It was the P-Tip.

Very good performance compared to my Great American.

I had the prop on the plane for about 50 hours when I had an exhaust valve break.

After the valve rattled around in the cylinder and chewed up the piston and punched a couple holes through the top of the cylinder, it finally made its way out the mutilated exhaust port and into the exhaust pipe.

The propeller timing was absolutely perfect. As the valve exited the opening in the exhaust pipe, It was meet by the fast moving blade of that beautiful Prince P-Tip propeller.

The ensuing science experiment stating that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time was once again proved to be correct. The winner of the contested space ultimately went to the valve, as the outboard six inches of that Beautiful Prince P-Tip propeller was now occupying space unknown.

I now have a very expensive wall clock.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
O-320 160hp  >>    MT Constant Speed Prop
F-16 Performance, On a Piper Cub Budget
www.iflyez.com

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
P tip prop
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »
Waiter, . .  You're too much man ! !    You should be writing a column somewhere ! !   I enjoyed your blow by ensuing blow on the  demise of your prop ! !  :lol:

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Jack

• View Profile
Re: propeller
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:41 AM »
Quote from: Reb Wallace
I am thinking about getting a prince p tip prop for my verieze 0-200 but need more info about this prop being used on a pusher does anyone have info on it and is  2 blade better than 3 blade

A slow moving two blade prop is the most efficient prop you can install.  IMO, stick with a two blade prop if possible on a pusher. One less blade to get hit by something falling off the bird.

As always with a fixed pitch prop, you have to compromise between a climb prop and a cruise prop.

On the road I always carry JB Weld the fast stuff and repair small dings quickly on my prop. Another trick is to always taxi with the speed brake down and in my case at 40 knots on the roll I bring it up.  It will take off with it down, but it's noisy and my canopy starts lifting up. You will remember to suck it up sooner or later.

Cheers;

Jack

Offline robert mencl

• View Profile
propeller
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
IF 3 blade props were better, 4 blade would be even better...and 5 even better! But, a 3 blade has 1/3 more drag, and weighs 1/3 more than a 2 ...Continuing this thought, I wonder if I could increase performance by inventing a 1 blade prop (theoretically 50 percent drag  and weight reduction.....Oh, I better quit while I am ahead...N613NC, 3 blade.

Offline aceflyingservice

• View Profile
Prince prop
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »
Reb,

Did you order your prop directly from Prince?  How much is it going to cost?

Thanks

Roger
LongEZ N34JR

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
Props
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
If you come to 2008 Canards de Mayo Craig Cato is giving a seminar on 2 v 3 blade props
Don Denhard
LongEZ 93EZ
www.haltonbrat.com

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Propeller
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »
Craif's name is Catto.   :)

Bruce Hughes   :D
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired