Author Topic: Starter Wires  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Ghost-Rider

• View Profile
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=223342&ck
Starter Wires
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
I am getting ready to order a B&C Electric Starter for my VariEZe project.
I am still in the building phase, but tired of Hand-Proping.

My question is what gage wire to use, or better yet what gage wire I can get away with?

Also, are their any Light Weight options? Like a type of wire that may be expensive, but will shave a pound or two off the installation?

Ghost
VariEZe N297TV
Miami Fla.
Currently Taxi Testing

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
Hand proping
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:42:18 AM »
Best answer :  B & C will have the best info on that question.  They deal with it all the time and they are sharp ! !

My guess is just about the best conductor you can buy is copper, . .that is without going to precious metals. ( gold, silver, etc. )  These days though,  you might add copper to that list ! !   :lol:  Price of copper keeps climbing.  As for the guage,  the regular automotive size should be adequate.  Regular as in full size Chevy like.  Not a little Toyota or Honda.

Again,  B & C are the best at this stuff.  I assure you,  they'll be your best source for info.

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
Starter Wires
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
It should be a number 2.  Note that the wire has to go a long way from battery to starter---so it is going to be a big wire.

You can check for yourself by looking at an electric wire chart.  Starters draw 150 to 200 amps (and sometimes more depending on the starter).  A 150 to 200 amp draw on a 14 volt system will dictate a number 2.

You can use the same chart to check wire length.  Getting beyond 14 ft (200 amp draw) will either drop you more than a 1 volt loss on a number 2---or drive you to a number 1),
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML

Offline Av1ator

• View Profile
Starter Wires
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »
I put a B&C starter on a VariEz a few years ago.  I went to an auto parts store and bought #2 welding cable. Worked perfect. Borrowed a pair of EXPENSIVE crimpers to put the connectors on.  #2 Copper will be the smallest that will work properly. Like you I wanted to save some weight and against the advice of an electical engineer I tried smaller it would not handle the load.

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
Starter cable size
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:07 PM »
When Burt Rutan originally sent out plans that included a starter for a C-85 Continental, the cable was specifed as a very large 1/0 stranded copper that weighs a lot.....probably 30 or more pounds.

Yes I am flying with twenty feet or more of this very large cable, but I don't have any voltage drop ! I would suggest a smaller size.
Cloudman

Offline Gilbert DRIEUX

• View Profile
Starter Wires
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
"Note that the wire has to go a long way from battery to starter---so it is going to be a big wire. "
And the same long long way.... from starter to battery !
That is a big difference from other tractor aircraft engine installation, where battery is close to engine, and return current can run shortly via engine mount.
Regards.

Happy to be back here.
Last Saterday-sunday, I had a nice fligh to RSA-VICHY, french homebuilder gathering.  260 km/h indicated, and 320 km/h ground-speed (GPS) @ 6000 ft.  Nice south wind ! :D

Regards to you all.
F-PMPZ @ LFPK
Gilbert
VE N 1736
F-PMPZ
Lyc O-235 C2C
@ LFPK / France