Author Topic: Landing Light In Belly  (Read 8450 times)

Offline mikeydidit98

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
I saw a Long with its retractable landing light mounted in the belly, just aft and to the right of the nose wheel compatment.  The actuator for the retract was located just below the and to the right of the nose gear crank (center bottom console).

I should be able to do the same light position on my Varieze, which would put the light asembly just under my pilot seat (about 4" between floor and bottom of seat).  I figure I will cut an access door in the seat bottom to access the light for potential bulb replacement.  I plan to cut a hole in the fuse bottom and use the cut-out as the door.  However, I need to find out where to buy an actuating assembly and or designs for a home-built system.  I could probably use a flex cable and hinge from Aircraft Spruce.  But, how about the arm/actuator/pivot?

Anyone have suggestions or examples which they would be willing to share.  I can replicate/fabricate/fit extremely well.  However, I lack the ingenuity to design a one-off 90 degree actuator, to take my linear push/pull from the front of the cabin and convert it to move the door to its open (down) position (the 90 degree movement).

Thanks.

Mike
KC Kansas
N6553C
816-500-7074
You appreciate most the things for which you have had to work.

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
    • http://www.iflyez.com
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »
This is the plans location for a LongEZ

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
O-320 160hp  >>    MT Constant Speed Prop
F-16 Performance, On a Piper Cub Budget
www.iflyez.com

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Landing Light in Belly
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
Hi Mike

I finished (well, almost finished) building a project started by
others.   Thought I had 2 years to go.   That was 15 years ago.

My first mistake was to put a landing light in.   I used the RAF
plans which I bought.   Took damn near forever to build it.

I seriously don't think I will ever use it; I will be a fairweather,
daytime pilot (if I don't lose my medical first).  

I wasted the 2 months it took.   It creates a little drag.   It adds
a little weight.   To some extent, it occupies space on the panel
(well, below the panel) which might be used for some other purpose.

IMHO  A landing light is about the LAST thing one needs` right after
a popcorn popper, air conditioner, and a hot-and-cold water fountain.

What you need on the Varieze is bug guts on the outside.  
 :D

Bruce Hughes    8)
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired
taught at Maui Community College

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
Landing light
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 01:42:44 AM »
Mikie,  

Hey . . .I like that IMHO ! !   Took me a while to figger it out but I like it ! ! So . . IMHO, . .I still think the landing light is very valuable.  (But then hot and cold water bubble might be nice too).  No . . but when flying in congested airspace,  nothin' like a landing light to help em see you ! ! They're complainin' about that already ! !   I don't like the Rutan design for a couple reasons. One - the extra drag.  Two - open door introduces cold air to the cockpit, - but you could prolly fix that, and three, I don't like that lever in the way when I'm gettin' in and out.  I'm plannin to put mine in the nose. I saw a pic on here a bit ago of someone else who did just that.  Sides, bein' a night flyer, I like to see the taxiways, ramps and runways.

My 3.5 cents (inflation)

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline mikeydidit98

• View Profile
Figured it Out
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
Thanks.  I think I figured it out (will have to test mny idea).  The assembly will have the light mounted so that the flat lense is flush to the belly surface.  I'll use the cut out belly piece to fab that door/mount.  I will then fab a similar dimension "cover", which is an integral part of that door, 90 degrees to the first, which closes the cabin opening when the landing light door is extended (thus closing off any air flow coming in when the door is opened).  There will be angle braces at both sides (right and left) on that assembly, to reinforce it for actuation.  A ball joint and ball will be attached to the upright door.  And a simple lawnmower style actuator, cable/rod will be used up front (unless I can find one of these from a long-EZ source.  I have my headset and Ipod jacks below my nosewheel crank, so I don't have room for this actuator in that normal position.  So, I am going to have to find an alternate location for that handle.
You appreciate most the things for which you have had to work.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:58:49 AM »
I have a light in each strake (outboard section).  One light is angled down in a landing light configuration and the other one is angled better as a taxi light.  Thinking about putting a wigwag flasher on these two lights.

Just keep in mind that some suggest not to put lights in the strakes due to the proximity to fuel.
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:35:26 AM »
Drew,

Boy the wigwag thing would be pretty cool ! !   They'd see ya comin' for sure.  

I thought about the strakes too, . .but I wasn't sure about structural integreity of tearin' into that.  I'm not a builder so I was unsure.  Also heard that the lights reflect off the back of the canard.  I really like the idea of in the strakes though.  

I just finished all the body work on my port side wing and it's ready for paint.  I'd hate to mess that all up again.  Maybe later after I've flown a while.

Then I might like to play with the retract gear thing too ! !

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »
I installed my Landing Lights in the wing leading edge.  They are outboard of the middle vortilon.

I use 1996 Camero High beams. The location was driven by the size (height) of the bulb. When I originally built these, the Camero bulb was the shortest (2 inches tall, by 6 inches wide).

If I did this again today, I would use those 55 watt projector lamps, and see if I could move them farther outboard on the leading edge.  Very nice, very bright, small package.

Take a look at:

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Construction_Photos_Wing.shtml

Scroll down near the bottom for a good description on how I did this install.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
www.iflyez.com

Offline Drew

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
Glennbob,
Don't have access to a lot of my flying stuff in Iraq.  However, here is a photo that sort of gives you an idea of my light installation.  Scroll down to the picture of my Cozy (only one on the page) and click on the picture.  You can  see the light there out on the strakes.
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:11:11 AM »
Drew,

Couldn't find the link to your pic.   But I think I have seen it before.  I think I saw it with another guy who had installed his light in the nose.  

Waiter,

Re :  wing / strake seal.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to put some saran wrap on one side before wing assembly and silicone caulk ?  That way, . .the silicone only sticks to one side and can be dis- and re- assembled over and over.

Glennbob

Of course, . .it wouldn't be sealed as neatly on that side.

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 09:26:50 AM »
Re : wing / strake seal.

I never removed the wings.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
www.iflyez.com

Offline crouch

• View Profile
Landing/Taxi lights
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »
I intalled two 55 watt MR16's in the lower portion of each winglet. One has a 12 degree width (landing light) and the other is the taxi light with a 40 degree range. The pocket I made for the bulbs is fiberfax lined and vented inboard and bottom. The lighting circuits will have an indictor light on the panel to show when they are on thus preventing operation when not needed.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
Landing Light In Belly
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 01:55:20 AM »
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML