Author Topic: Engine baffles  (Read 3107 times)

Offline rglos

• View Profile
Engine baffles
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
I am going to rebuild my engine baffles and am looking for for a copy
of the original drawings. I have the standard, not the sport flight cowls

I park outside and it is a little too cold to be tearing into the engine just now.

I could wait until spring and copy the
existing ones but I am looking for a winter project to get done before the spring.

I would appreciate any help I could get. Even if all you have is tracings of the original drawings.

I could not find them on the open EZ drawings

I tried to get an answer on the other forums so far but nothing yet

Rick

rglos721@comcast.net
Long EZ, 0-235L2C, 1986

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
Engine baffles
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »
Don't rebuild baffles to plans.  Use the side pieces as a guide (can't give them to you----I am away from home until summertime).  The side pieces need to extend way aft.  Use berkut13.com for inspiration as to how to build the aft wall.  In the end, that aft wall needs to be one nice flat piece going across---not some monster wall with a hundred bends in it.

You can use my website for inspiration---but it is downdraft----but the same idea applies.  

You can use your old baffles for templates to get the right shape around the cylinders.  I started with cardboard paper (oversized) and trimmed to fit (lots of cowl on and off).

The berkut style baffles are much easier to build, much stronger, less prone to cracks, and have very few bends.

I know---not what you wanted to hear.
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML

Offline rglos

• View Profile
Engine baffles
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »
Thanks Drew

Just a point of consideration I have drooled over your downdraft modification for the last year or so. The berkut site is also very informative.

I am not quit prepared to go to downdraft yet as every teak I make to mine brings the temps down another notch or two. I built two ram type tunnels into the lower cowl for #3 & #4 cylinders. I still have a lot of leaks around the baffles that I am sure about and some ideas on better airflow through.

I just may have to wait untill spring & do as you suggest but inthe meantime some drawings would also help me get started
Long EZ, 0-235L2C, 1986