Author Topic: Speed Brake Bracket  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Brett795

• View Profile
    • Brett795
Speed Brake Bracket
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has the layout of the right support bracket for the speedbrake that attaches to the back of the front seat backrest? Bought a project and this bracket and bearing (?) is missing. The leftside bearing is still in place. I looked through the manual, but the only manual that came w/ the Long EZ is section one.

Thank you,

Brett Gerber
Brett795@AOL.COM
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Long EZ & Cozy builder (#1566)/Pilot,
Funeral Director, and A&P Mechanic

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
    • http://www.iflyez.com
Re: Speed Brake Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:13 AM »
The Landing brake was not part of the original plans, thats why your missing them.

If you have a TERF disk, I thing the landing brake is in there.

The bearing is a phenolic bearing that the torque tube sits in. the bearing then mounts to the back support.

The positioning of the back support should wait until you have the speed brake components in hand. That way you can move the support sideways a little to get a custom fit of the torque tube. and not have to cut/modify the torque tube length.

The seat back also needs to be notched as per one of the CPs. this allows the braacket to break and the front seat to collapse in the event of a hard vertical impact (crash). Otherwise the bracket can come through the seat and penetrate your behind.

Take a look at the CPs. I seem to recall there was a drawing that showed the notching.

Unfortunantly, I removed all this from my plane when I installed the electric landing brake, otherwise I would have gotten you some photos.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
O-320 160hp  >>    MT Constant Speed Prop
F-16 Performance, On a Piper Cub Budget
www.iflyez.com

Offline Brett795

• View Profile
    • Brett795
Re: Speed Brake Bracket
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will look through the CP. The mounting was pretty much done, just looks like that bracket on the right was originally there, and now is gone.  The support has been notched.  How is your plane coming along? Almost ready to fly?  I am thinking about installing Dynon's FlightDEK-D180 or going your rout by installing the two individual units.
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Long EZ & Cozy builder (#1566)/Pilot,
Funeral Director, and A&P Mechanic