Author Topic: Is it a must to hangar LONG EZ?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline 3BOH

• View Profile
Is it a must to hangar LONG EZ?
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
 Hello,

I would appreciate if you could reply to the following question; is it
 a must to hangar LONG EZ? I am being told that UV will destroy the
 aircraft.

Thank you!

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
Re: Is it a must to hangar LONG EZ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »
Can't imagine leaving mine out...too many folks would finger it... it is a magnet for interest.... Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline Brett795

• View Profile
    • Brett795
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
It is not mandatory to have a Long EZ in a hanger.  The Long EZ is suppose to have a UV protective primer under the paint.  I would have a canopy cover over the plane if it was going to be set outside.  I have been to several airports and have seen them on the tied down for extended periods.  This past spring I flew into Schaumburg Regional Airport outside of Chicago, IL and they had a few different canards tied down there.  I asked the guy with the gas truck and he says they have been tied down outside for at least 7 months (that was how long he had been there).  Also, put a control lock on your rudders and ailerons. I repaired a Cozy for a guy who had his rudder cable break after the plane sat out all winter with no type of gusset locks.
If you do not have a hanger now, the plane should be ok. A hanger is always the best way to go, but unfortunately some airports are full and or they want an arm and a leg for one.

Good Luck,

Brett
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Long EZ & Cozy builder (#1566)/Pilot,
Funeral Director, and A&P Mechanic

Offline rglos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »
I own the plane at Schaumburg. It has been outside since June 1986. Hangars are 300+per month. I pay $80 for the tie down.
For the last 22 years I have save over 60K on the difference.

It is no show plane but has stood up to the Chicago weather conditions very well. Do a goggle search on N 721EZ and judge for yourself.

If you have any questions let me know.

Rick
Long EZ, 0-235L2C, 1986

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
I had my project tied down on Maui for about 5 years.   The airport furnishes only 2
rings for the tiedown ropes and the surface is entirely asphalt otherwise.   I tied down
the nose and one wing.   Probably should have tied down both wings.    I was gone
for months.   One day there were VERY high winds.   The left winglet AND left
canard tip rubbed on the asphalt enough to wear small holes in the bottoms.
Took me about 30 min/day for 3 days to fix those spots.    :)

Bruce  Hughes
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired
taught at Maui Community College

Offline Radioflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
It is highly recommended that a plane of this type be hangared. Sure, the fiberglass is mostly impervious to weather given proper finishing and appropriate treatment with carnauba or better non-silicones like Rejex, but the plane has a multitude of little metal parts that will suffer. These planes are typically not water-proofed against rain and condensation and moisture will find its way to the metal eventually. This is especially bad near the salty coasts.
Now, having said that, I keep my plane on a tie-down. It has a cover and during the worst of the winter, it will be taken off airport and stored in my garage. Hangar space is almost not available and if it were, I couldn't afford the $600/month rent. So it basically comes down to do you want to own this plane or not. I did, so it is on a tie-down and I will be facing much increased maintenance and possibly more frequent replacement/repairs of parts and equipment. Not the best situation, but not the worst either.

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
Be VERY careful about covers; A plain canvas cover moves when the wind blows
and will rapidly remove the paint where it touches.   I found that out when a
"buddy" gave me the old cover that he had been using inside a hangar.  He
did not have wind blowing it around so it worked for him.   Some covers will
not remove paint even in windy conditions.   :)

Bruce Hughes
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired
taught at Maui Community College