Author Topic: How hard is it to install an auto-pilot?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
How hard is it to install an auto-pilot?
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
I would like to make the improvement...I would love to hear thoughts about installations and which brand is the best....hard to beat Dynon?...don't know.

Thanks,

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline rpellicciotti

• View Profile
Re: How hard is it to install an auto-pilot?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:04:23 AM »
Dave,
If you already have a Dynon EFIS then it might make sense to install their autopilot.  That said, I prefer to have a seperate and independent source of heading and turn rate information.  So, I chose to install the Trutrak Digiflight II autopilot.  The Trio autopilots are quite popular as well.

The roll-axis autopilots are simple to install.  The ones with a pitch servo require a little more imagineering but it can be done.

Rick Pellicciotti
EZrg N818KD, Race 51

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »
The trio autopilot is a snap to install.   The servo goes on the rear of the strake (firewall area) and attaches to the aileron control rod with clamps.  Four small bolts hold the servo to the main spar. Has a clutch that can easily be overridden if needed.  The wires feed to the inst. panel and there you mount the head.  One wire to the control stick for a quick disconnect if needed.  Keeps track of hours flown, and has your " N " number and name in the data bank.  Has a turn indicator.  Can fly to multiple waypoints.  Some pilots report only having to take off and land and the autopilot does the rest. (except for pitch ).  For a few more bucks, you can get an additional unit to control pitch as well ! !   Many pilots that I talked to love this unit ! You can easily install this in a weekend.

Glennbob

N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »
http://www.trioavionics.com/

thanks...more thoughts?

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard