Author Topic: Synthetic oil ??  (Read 9037 times)

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
Synthetic oil ??
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, but can't seem to find what I saw not too long ago........

I read something recently about Mobile One oil used that was purchased at Wal-Mart and thus not too expensive. I recall that Mobile One AV oil was a bust several years ago, but would like to know who may be using a similar automotive synthetic oil, what multi-weight, etc.
Getting ready to purchase a case of oil and am considering changing from regular aviation oil in my Continental C-85.
Or if it is a bad idea, would like to know also.

WJohnson
Varieze 725EZ

Offline Iraqijack

• View Profile
Re: Synthetic oil ??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:59 AM »
[quote
Getting ready to purchase a case of oil and am considering changing from regular aviation oil in my Continental C-85.
Or if it is a bad idea, would like to know also.

WJohnson
Varieze 725EZ
[/quote]

Bad idea.  You have an old engine and the o-rings will start leaking.  I tried it once long ago on an O-200.  Although I do use Vavoline 50 WT racing oil in my current O-235. 

All of my cars run synthetic oil and it works fine.  Been doing that since 1980 or so.  Did have one 4 banger motor blow for losing water.  Pulled the pan and the valve covers and at 160,000 miles there was no visible wear on any moving parts. 

Jack

Offline Reb Wallace

• View Profile
    • ultralightdreamcatchers
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
amsoil series 2000 20w50 is what I use in my 0-200 veze and it does not use oil I have a small leak around the rear crank seal that is very minor. best wear test out there bar none.

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
amsoil series 2000 20w50 is what I use in my 0-200 veze and it does not use oil I have a small leak around the rear crank seal that is very minor. best wear test out there bar none.

Was wondering how long have you used the Amsoil 20w50?  Have you had any problems and/or heard of any? I did use aviation 15w50 one winter and had a little extra leaking, but the cold start was great ...... much smoother and quieter. I do usually put the heater on during the winter.
Tnx, cloudman..........Varieze 725EZ

Offline Joe Person

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
From what I have read, the problem with running syntheic oil that does not have certain scavenging compounds blended in, is the buildup of lead-based deposits on and around the rings.  600 - 900 hours, before this phenomenon manifests itself, according to a Shell lubrication engineer who made this statement.

FWIW, after installing ECI Titan cylinders on my O-200 and following the prescribed break-in regimen, I have stable oil consumption (25 hours/quart), using Philips X/C 20W50 aviation oil.  The engine has not shown any increase or decrease in the few innocuous oil "weeps" it has had for years. I change the oil every 25 to 35 hours now, on average.    A case of this oil lasts me the better part of a year.

Joe Person
VariEze N79JN
Cozy #879 Under Construction
EAA Tech Counselor 4418
Bothell, WA (KPAE)

Offline Reb Wallace

• View Profile
    • ultralightdreamcatchers
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »
I have been using amsoil about 15 years in all my vehicles. my 94 chevy pu has 210k and purrs like a kitten and have never had any engine problems. also use it in my diesel engines also with same results. however I have only used it in the 0-200 for 3 yrs. I got the engine with 40 hrs. SMOH and I have put only 80 hrs on it with the amsoil. Just did annual insp. all cyl. comp. ok and no leaks. I have installed the new style pushrod tubes where I was getting some leakage. I also run it in my lightsport trainer which is a rotax 2 stroke. Have put thousands of hrs. on 2 stroke engines with no carbon build up around the rings. I am no expert but my opinion is amsoil is the best out there. the rebel :)

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Hey Joe,

Good to hear ya.

I am thinking about going to a multi visc oil for the 0-235L2c. Would you recommend the same as you are using for the lyc?

thanks,

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline Joe Person

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
Dave,

I usually look to the manufacturers' data first, when evaluating what to do.  I'd suggest looking at Lycoming Service Instruction (SI) 1014M first.  You can download this (and many other useful data) from www.lycoming.com.  Every owner & operator of an aircraft engine (and I don't care what type of aircraft it is installed in) should familiarize themselves with the myriad of service and operationl data available from the associated manufacturer.

I began using the Philips X/C oil I noted above, on the recommendation of ECI.  I have been happy with the performance of this oil, in conjunction with the use of the new ECI Titans on my O-200.

Your mileage may vary.
Joe Person
VariEze N79JN
Cozy #879 Under Construction
EAA Tech Counselor 4418
Bothell, WA (KPAE)

Offline zig-1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:40 PM »
I've  had good luck with synoil in everything from BIG trucks to 800 hp racing motors.. however I had new pistons and the valves gone thru on my 0200 and the issue of sticking valves on 0200's came up. The rebuilder said the only trouble they had seen was with engines running Synoil or the half/half oil.. For what it's worth!! bill

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »
I began using the Philips X/C oil I noted above, on the recommendation of ECI.  I have been happy with the performance of this oil, in conjunction with the use of the new ECI Titans on my O-200.

Your mileage may vary.

Decided to go the way of the 'Person' with experience in using Phillips X/C oil in his Continental engine. Found a case at the airport this week for $62+plus tax and took it home. I have confidence it it working great.......without experimenting.
WTJohnson

Offline Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »
Phillips in my opinion, is tractor oil,

this year at Reno, I ran redline in my Cassutt, and all I can say is its WAY BETTER! At high temps, the oil pressure doesnt budge,
and it also made more rpm then with stock oils!

Not to mention, after running the engine for 20hrs, (at high rpm 4k) with mineral oil, ALL of the cam lobes/lifters were shot. not to mention the main bearings
looked as though they had 2000 hrs!  I havent torn down the engine this year, (after running redline synthetic) but I doubt it will look any different than new!

T

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
Phillips in my opinion, is tractor oil,

this year at Reno, I ran redline in my Cassutt, and all I can say is its WAY BETTER! At high temps, the oil pressure doesnt budge,
and it also made more rpm then with stock oils!

Not to mention, after running the engine for 20hrs, (at high rpm 4k) with mineral oil, ALL of the cam lobes/lifters were shot. not to mention the main bearings
looked as though they had 2000 hrs!  I havent torn down the engine this year, (after running redline synthetic) but I doubt it will look any different than new!

T

I checked out the Redline oil site and it seems like their multi-wt oils are not recommended for sustained oil temps below 225 degrees. My Continental runs much cooler that that, so probably not appropriate to use. The $ 9.95 per quart is not a real problem, but if another oil works at normal operating conditions ( including not racing at 4000 rpm) I think I will still try it. Guess the Aero Shell 15-50 oil that I used some years back is a bit more expensive that the Phillips 20-50 so we will see how the Phillips works for me. I do have fairly new Millennium cylinders so my oil leaks will be limited to gaskets, seals, etc.
Cloudman.......... Varieze 725EZ ...flying 26 years and still experimenting.....