Author Topic: Has anyone flown into West Yellow Stone?  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
Has anyone flown into West Yellow Stone?
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
I am planning to meet my family at the park next week. West Yellow Stone airport looks like the closest landing option.

Would love info if you have it.

Thanks,

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline JLKnolla

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone flown into West Yellow Stone?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
Dave, I have not flown to West Yellowstone but as silly as it sounds I have used Flight Simulator or X-Plane to 'fly' areas, airports even approaches I am not yet familiar with - I have found it to be a great aid FWIW.
COMM-Instr ASEL, Airplane Nut, Husband, Father

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »
made it to American Falls Idaho then ran into T-storms. Fortunately my family was 10 minutes away by car. so we tied down the plane and I hopped in with them. Fun to fly for 3 hours and 15 minutes...really want to stretch into some longer flights but find it difficult as with that much time you run into multiple weather scenarios.

Case and point is that I had to wait for 3 hours to leave because of a marine layer over the Southern Willamette Valley...which meant that I was set to hit the T-Storms at their peak in the afternoon.

Still a great flight and amazing to catch my family in 3 hours after they have been driving for 2 days.

Love love love the Long EZ.

Dave

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
took a bus back to the airplane this morning and was wheels up at about 2PM...rocked the turbulence all the way home. Flew home at 10,500'....I would love to have o2 to try higher up.

Landed in Jerome Idaho because American Falls was out of fuel...5,000 rw but one end is 200' higher than the other...also a mess of radio towers at shoulder height just to the right of final approach...kinda different. Nice enough place and gas at $3.65.

I lost my return spring on my left rudder pedal today (must have kicked it off when I was stretching out) ...made it very interesting trying to fly and get my foot under the rudder pedal to lift it into position...took a while.

Flew over lots of in hospitable Oregon desert today...thought of Don Denhart's push rod tube failure a few times...need to fly roads more.

Would be interested to hear about different favorite altitudes to cruise.

Best,

Dave

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
12,500 to 15,500 with oxy.

Beagle
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com

Offline pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
Hi,
Nice airport with food and vans to get to metels in town.  Rental cars available.  Beautiful scenery over the park and west of the field is a large lake that is beautiful.  Peaks north go to 12,500 but passes can be flown in daylight VFR.  Jackson Hole is prittier to fly into though.
Bob

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
Re: On Altitudes...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Ditto what Beagle says but in my case, always within gliding distance of a road....from those altitudes one has a lot of options.