Author Topic: Arlington Canard Fly-Out Dinner  (Read 8670 times)

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
Arlington Canard Fly-Out Dinner
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
Does anyone know the location and time this year?  Understand it's Thursday night the 9th.

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Re: Arlington Canard Fly-Out Dinner
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »
Bremerton Airport (KPWT).   Leave Arlington about 5:30 after the airshow.

I don't have my sectional handy but it is about roughly 190 degrees from Arlington

BTW  I am looking for a ride.   Please let me know.  Will pay for gas, oil.

Thank you.

Bruce Hughes :)

Offline cloudman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
Bruce,
How about dinner too?

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
OK, that is a fair deal.    BTW we may have some weather; I hope is not too much.
There will be some clouds and rain on Wednesday.  Then it will be "clearing" the
rest of the week.

We are busy all day judging antique/classic aircraft but you can catch me after 5
Wed. if you are there Wed.   We stay in a Dolphin motorhome.   License plate
Washington 308 VWB

I will search around for you, too, after 5 on Wed. and at noon on Thursday.

What is your N number?

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
I now see that "flyingwaldo" and "cloudman" are 2 different people.
Well if the ride works, it works.

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:03:04 AM »
I'll be picking up a builder at Boeing Field to ride out to the dinner.  Hope you find a ride Bruce.
PS: I wouldn't have "charged" you anything!

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Well, who is there?  How's the weather?  The RV guys are reporting overcast and light turnout so far tonight.....

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
Starting Thursday afternoon, the weather was good: sunny and warm but not too hot.  Wednesday was a different story and even Thursday morning was low overcast.  A lot of us bugged out Saturday morning in advance of thunderstorm buildups that did not materialize.

The usual suspects were there (Tom Staggs, Dale Martin, Tim Sullivan, Bob and Linda Evans, Joe Person, Joe Hull, Joe Dubner, Dave Viglierchio, Bruce Hughes, Brian Amadala, Mike Sabourin, Rich Martin) and some new blood (Jim Price, Tom Smith, Chris from Colorado, and a gent flying a Speed Canard).  Please excuse my spelling and any omissions -- I did not take notes and I didn't meet everyone as I slept in an RV (motorhome type) this year. 

We had 7-9 airplanes fly out to Bremerton for dinner Thursday night and it seemed like there were 20 of us at the seafood restaurant on the field.

I'd like to publicly thank the "locals" that made the fly-in such an outstanding experience for us "out of towners".  Rich Martin did a lot of set up work with a shade tent, chairs, and drinking water.  I don't know who's responsible but two large BBQ grills and other equipment appeared.  Thanks, guys.

And a special thanks to Tom Staggs for his organizational work, making the Friday BBQ happen, and the outstanding aerial tour of the Puget Sound and Seattle that he led us on.  We saw submarines and aircraft carriers, Boeing 787s parked on the ramp at Paine Field, and downtown Seattle with the Space Needle, all close up and personal.  There were times it sounded like we knew what we were doing ("EZ flight check - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6") and times it didn't ("Who's number 4?", "OK guys, lets try it again." :-)

You can see the APRS track of our tour at this link.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:09:04 PM by jdubner »
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »
Joe
Thanks for the write up on Arlington
Didn't make it this year, I am about 4hrs. away from 1st flight after an engine change.Maybe next year
Don Denhard
LongEZ 93EZ

Offline ChrisRW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
I second Joe's thanks to Tom for setting up dinner and Joe Person for helping cook dinner. 

Also thanks to Tim Sullivan for taking us out to lunch on Thursday and running us around town on errands. 

Gary, Justine, and me all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. 

Breakfast at the Spruce Goose cafe in Port Townsend was awesome and the service very friendly, thanks for the recommendation Tom.  We bought coffee cups to remember the place.  We got mobbed with questions about N14CZ, which got mobbed with attention itself.

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »
You left just in time Joe!  Gil, Larry, Brian and I woke up to 1000' ceilings and rain Sunday morning.....

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »
You left just in time Joe!  Gil, Larry, Brian and I woke up to 1000' ceilings and rain Sunday morning.....

Yeah, I didn't need any more of that after scud running to arrive on Thursday.  I would have liked to stay for Saturday and even Sunday though.

OK, I figure "Gil" == Gil Hutchison (sp?) but who are the other names you mentioned (including yours -- to whom am I talking?).
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »
Hi Guys

I enjoyed talking with several of you.   Unfortunately I am always busy in the middle of
the day so can drop by only after duty is done.

I was disappointed that NOBODY took advantage of the fact that we had a motorhome
with a refrigerator, soft chairs, etc.   It was empty all day while we were on the job.
I hope you can use it some next year (but I am not 100% sure that we will be there
next year; depends on the health situation),   We are always parked in the same place,
within a few feet.

BTW 2009 was the 33rd year that Candy has been a  volunteer at Arlington (started 38
years ago but did not go for 5 years due to conflicts with administration in the 1980s)

That was my 9th year as a volunteer.   Email me for information on volunteering at
bruce@fairpoint.net

This was a great year for me as I found 2 hardback books by E. Gann at the bookstore.
Last year I got 4.   There are still 2 Gann books that I do not have (one of those was
at the bookstore, autographed, for $350; I did not get that one).

I have 4 only in paperback.   Anyone want to sell "Island in the Sky", "Blaze of Noon",
"Benjamin Lawless", "Fate is the Hunter" or "The Encounter" in hardback?

I believe that Gann wrote 24 books.

Offline fluffysheap

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 02:51:56 AM »
Hi all,
This was my first visit to Arlington, and I did it in a car, not owning a plane of my own.  Nevertheless I got to look at some nice canard planes and meet a few people.  It was the first time I was able to see any canard planes up close.  Unfortunately I arrived just after many people had left, but Gil and Larry were still there, so I talked with them for a little while, until some Yaks and the B-25 rolled by.  Larry also let me sit in his plane, which was nice.

As a resident of the Puget Sound area, I will offer the following advice about weather: If the forecast calls for thunderstorms, it is probably wrong.  We get about one thunderstorm a year.  But if it calls for overcast, it is certainly right.  Actually, even if it calls for clear, you will usually still get the overcast.