Author Topic: VE long distance trailering  (Read 3007 times)

Offline alleycat

• View Profile
VE long distance trailering
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:11:07 AM »
Greetings, I will be trailering a VE 1800 miles, and would welcome suggestions as to the best way to "package" the project. Nose gear up or down?   I assume the engine towards the front of trailer to increase tongue weight.  Thanks

Offline miketdrew

• View Profile
    • http://michaeltdrew.com
Re: VE long distance trailering
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
I used a enclosed 16' trailer for the first couple of years I had my VariEze.  Made dozens  of trips to back and forth to the  airport. On my web site  http://michaeltdrew.com/photo.html are some photos of how I set up the trailer.  My solution was nose retracted for better clearance between the strakes and wings. 

Mike Drew
KPAE
N840EZ
LyCon 235
460 Hrs.
Had VariEze N840EZ LyCon 235 Flying

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
Re: VE long distance trailering
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
I was hoping to hear some "don'ts" related to your question. I will offer a couple.
While not related to trailering, some have reported the softer VariEze foam crushing where most of us rest the plane on our thigh while cranking the nose wheel up or down, at the bottom fuselage area there under the instrument panel. I heard of one trailer experience where the fuselage was set on two inch bed foam resulting in belly foam crushing aft of the speedbrake.
As for the lessers of evil, straps to the engine mount and struts, and a 4 or 6 foot board strapped securely atop the attach bulkhead for the canard would provide a good front tiedown anchor point without danger to fuselage foam. Hope you get more good info.
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers