Author Topic: another noobie in love with questions  (Read 4285 times)

Offline erikpmort

• View Profile
another noobie in love with questions
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »
Hello!

I have been in love with vans aircraft for over 10 years.  I am creeping closer financially to owning one and i have a few questions for you lucky owners out there.

I live in Logan, Utah and i believe there is a VE/ LEZ owner that i've seen on occasion flying.  Is there a way to contact them to learn more and hopefully fill them up for a ride?

Long ez is 2 seater, varez is not, correct?  I think i've always wanted an long ez.  i was instantly in love with the idea of crazy good visibility, the quietness of the pusher design, gph efficiency the side stick etc etc etc!

what is my basic cost of ownership per year besides the aircraft itself?  i budget 30-40k for an airplane and then whats my avg cost for hangaring, inspections etc?  i would love to split the plane with a trustworthy soul if possible.

I don't have a PPL yet.  I fly ultralights right now.  Could i find someone who would help me get a ppl with an ez or is that crazy out of the question?  i realize its a fast aircraft, strange and different but i have to at least ask.  Is there a recommended number of hours or mandatory number of hours i have to fly a standard trainer for to get checked out on this aircraft?

thank you

Erik

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Re: another noobie in love with questions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:36:11 AM »
Hi Erik

There are 11 CSA members listed in the 2009 directory (I misplaced the 2010).  One has moved to TX.  4 of the 10 are listed as having hours on the airplane.  Dana Byerley has his Longeze for sale.  The other 5 probably are building but some may not be building yet.  All of those listed are Longeze people except for "slick Rick" who has a Berkut.   The Varieze, Longeze, Berkut, Eraser, etc. are 2 place airplanes.  I don't know a lot about any of them except I have a Longeze (which has not flown).

If you call Ken smith, who lives in Logan, he probably can tell you a lot more.   435-752-3403   Maybe he can give you a ride.   And call Dana to see if he has sold the airplane.   That is the cheapest (compared to building) way to fly.  801-943-1005.

The Varieze is a 2 person airplane but is a bit smaller (and faster) than the Longeze.   Ask Rick Lee
(in Sandy)(801-4834) about the Berkut.

I don't know much about costs.   Have not flown yet.   Lots of $$$$ up to now.

You might join the CSA.   4 newsletters/year.   One due out now.   $30 per year.  See the home page.

You can get some training in a Cozy which is side-by-side.   You need to get on the Cozy Builders' webside.   I am not on it.   Burrall Sanders in Falcon, CO can give you some training, unless he is too busy repairing airplanes.   The tandom canards are not very good for training because you cannot see to takeoff or land.

IN Iowa, Curt Smith can give you training.  Of Course Burrall and Curt charge for the service.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline erikpmort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »
Lol I was just looking back at my post and I said vans I meant rutan heh. Thanks Bruce I am in the process of meeting up with Ken

Erik

Offline erikpmort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
spoke with Ken tonight he was very nice.  He built is long ez over the span of 12 years and now has been flying it for over 10.  It sounds like the cost of maintenance and annuals are extremely cheap because he told me he is certified to perform his own annuals and maintenance because he is the builder.  He said i could expect to pay around 100$ a month for hangaring, which is much cheaper than i expected. 

Can anyone help me out with my situation- if i purchase a long ez, then the faa will not give me the ability to perform my own annual- will it be hard to find someone who can do an annual on a long ez or can anyone do it?  what should i expect to pay? 

I can still do my own oil changes and basic maintenance though, right? 

I haven't asked about insurance either- does anyone have a ball park figure for how many hours i will need to get insured and how much i can expect to pay?

thank you,

Erik Mortenson

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:13:05 AM »
Hi Erik

You need to ask local guys about the cost of hangaring; the cost varies so widely.
I would expect that you would pay far more than $100/month.

You are not so far from Dale Martin (Lewiston, ID) or Burrell Sanders (Falcon, CO)
so you could get the annual condition inspection done at a price.   Again ask
the local guys.   Maybe there is a local A & P that can do them.

Did you join CSA?  You need to have their help.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline erikpmort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
Hey Bruce, 

is there a csa member in brigham city, utah?  Ken does not give rides in his long ez, but he said there was another ez owner in the brigham city area.  also, how do i join csa?  whats the website?  I am ready to join.

Oh and yeah i know 100$ seems cheap but thats what Ken said he rents his hangar space to a guy for.  Things are pretty cheap around here :)

Erik

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
Hi Eric

There are 7 CSA members in UT, I think.  They are in Hooper, Sandy (2), Central Valley,
Heber City, Ogden and Logan.  The 8th listing is Aziz Musa, a guy who has moved. 

The info on CSA is in the homepage of this website.   Or you can just send $30 to
Terry Schubert at 9283 Lindbergh Blvd, Olmsted Falls, Ohio 44138-2407

You can also communicate by:  JSCHUBER@ JUNO.COM   No, don't add the T for Schubert
in the email address.

You will get the Jan., April, and July newsletters plus the directory.   He also has back issues.
I think those are the same price?   When I joined I got a year of back issues.   There is
also a listing of articles on a website but I don't know how to access that.

Terry does this kinda like a business.   There IS a board of directors but everyone is
so happy with the newsletter that we just hope he continues forever.....    Anyway
when he pays for paper, ink, stamps, etc. he makes something like $1 per hour or less
for his work.A lot of the members once chipped in some $$ to buy him a more capable
computer.

When you send a check, make it out to him.  Legally he is the editor, but CSA is  just
a legal framework, I guess.

There certainly may be more canard pusher guys in UT that are not CSA members.
They probably are not very active either.  I don't understand not being a CSA member
but I do know 2 guys who are not members.

Dana Byerley was trying to sell a Longeze.  May be sold already.  He lives in Sandy.
Really nice guy who is more crazy about cars than airplanes.   Call him at
801-943-1005.   Tell him I sent you.

Bruce Hughes    :)

Offline erikpmort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »
Ok thanks for that generous info Bruce. I did see danas ez was listed for only 20k but not in flying condition  I would love to go look at it but gee I need to get to work on my ppl before I should even get serious about plane shopping :)

I am also in the middle of considering a&p school. More for fun than to make money but anyone that has an a&p I would love a pm about why or why not they would recommend it. I just don't want to sell crap for a living anymore and I'm lucky my wife makes good money so I could potentially switch gears right now if I want to