Author Topic: WTB Long EZ plans  (Read 14567 times)

Joel

WTB Long EZ plans
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
Hello All,

I am seriously considering building a Long Ez.  I am an A&P -IA.  Just wrapping up with an RV-10 project for a friend...  I have looked at and liked Long EZs for quite a while now...  However, I have no clue as of yet where to go or who to talk to about plans.  Is there anyone who could offer-up some advice about the best way to get my hands on some plans?  And answer some questions??  I have soo many!!!   Would it be better/cheaper to buy a used Long Ez??? --   I'm in the midwest (K.C.) and looking for answers...  Is there anyone in K.C. with a Long Ez??? 

Many Thanks and nice forum btw,

Joel
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:09:47 PM by Joel »

Offline Marc Oppelt

• Arrgh!
    • View Profile
    • My Construction Log
Jumbo Long-EZ - wider, deeper & stretched
https://sites.google.com/site/garagerocket/

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
Re: WTB Long EZ plans
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:55 AM »
Which Kansas City do you live in?

Bruce Hughes   :)

Joel

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the quick response!!  I'm downloading now....
I actually live on the Mo. side and work on the Ks. side...  So taxes are always a joy to figure out!!
Thanks Huge for the info...  What is the average cost and build time for the a long ez???
I'm debating between a Long ez and an RV-7a. Can anyone help me with the pros and cons???  I like both...  I think they will be about the same speed.  However, I think the Long Ez will be less $$ to build, but longer build time...  So I am going to sit on the decision until after the holidays...

Joel
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:07:49 PM by Joel »

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
Try out the instructional workbook and build the practice parts.   
http://www.actechbooks.com/products/act431/
If you enjoy that experience you may be a composite guy!  Many RV builders dread the composite parts, others enjoy them and visa versa.  Here is a guy that is pretty good at both!  http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44856&highlight=Fiberglass&page=2
I didn't build my canard but have made some parts and would rather sand all day than drive rivets.......

Offline BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
Hi Joel,

If you decide to build, you'll need the Canard Pusher's. They're updates for the canard community from 1974 - 2002. This web site has CP's 1-82 in one searchable PDF.  http://marc-borom.com/LongEZ/CPs_1_To_82.html

A different Marc, his web site has 109 CP's, 1974-2002     http://www.cozybuilders.org/Canard_Pusher/

If you have more cash than time at the moment, there are a lot of good projects (and not so good) that are not completed looking for a good home that can be purchased for a reasonable (sometimes) price. It'll save you a lot of time and get you flying sooner, hopefully. A good gentleman to speak with about what's out there is David Orr (aka Beagle). Send him an email at;  canardfinder(at)att.net

Sometimes E-Bay and Barnstormer's are a good source as well.

Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Best regards,
Bruce

Offline A. Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
Hi Joel

You need to call Terry Yake (913-451-8904)(Kansas CSA) and
Joe Rosa (314-878-5853)(Missouri CSA)  to get help.  Both
are great guys and are state representatives of CSA.   There
are at least 10 canard airplanes in MO and 5 in KS.

Also check out the CSA (see the home page of this web site).
The members will be a great resource.

Also check with Steve Beert at 563-381-4702 to talk canard stuff.   
He is in IA.

Call Curt Smith at 618-531-7190.  He is in IL.  Curt is a CFI in case
you want a lesson in canard flying.

Also the Cozy Girrrls live somewhere around there.  Don't have a
# for them but you will see emails posted on canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com
from Chrissi.  They have a website because they sell a lot of great parts for us.
CGParts.com, I think.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
I hae a complete set of Long-EZ plans.  Unused.  Most of the CPs and Long-Rudder plans, Ronz Plans, and Landing light plans.  Lets talk off line. If interested email  at  ejandlinda@earthlink.net      EJ  N36EJ

Joel

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the useful info!! 
Does it matter weather or not the plans came from RAF or not??  Are they serialized???
Is it better to purchase a set of plans or not???
Happy Thanksgiving all!!!
Many Thanks,
Joel

Offline Marc Oppelt

• Arrgh!
    • View Profile
    • My Construction Log
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »

Does it matter weather or not the plans came from RAF or not??  Are they serialized???

I'm building from downloaded plans...as are quite a few others.  Why spend money on something you can get for free? 

Then again...some people collect old beatles records, so go figure.

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
Long EZ plans
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
I've been following the development of these bootleg plans for a couple years now.  Have any aircraft built with these flown yet?  If so how are it's performance numbers compared to 'stock' built planes?  I know of a fellow out West that finished up a hybrid Long EZ with velocity strakes and a lot of shoulder room but it seemed like he was burning a lot of fuel for that room at about the same speeds as plans built.  Just curious.......

Offline Vandy12

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
EJ - interested in the plans you have - email me the details at brian_strack@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Brian

Brian Strack
Edmond, Oklahoma
Varieze 369MS - in refurb
Sundance Airpark (KHSD)
Air Force Flight Standards Agency

Offline Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
Joel
The only way to get a set of plans is from individuals.  RAF is out of business and the plans have been off the markets since around 1985.  A lot of sets are out there for around 5 to 6 hundred.
EJ N36EJ

Offline BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Long EZ plans
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the useful info!!  
Does it matter weather or not the plans came from RAF or not??  Are they serialized???

It makes no difference where they came from.

For the serial numbers, you don't need one to build a LongEZ.

Some people have purchased plans for up to $1,000 on Ebay and all they got was a photo copy of a set of LongEZ plans. In some cases they were not a complete set of plans. So a buyer, whether of a plane or a set of plans has to be careful of what they purchase, however, some folks are very honest about what they sell.

I've been following the development of these bootleg plans for a couple years now.  Have any aircraft built with these flown yet?  If so how are it's performance numbers compared to 'stock' built planes?  I know of a fellow out West that finished up a hybrid Long EZ with velocity strakes and a lot of shoulder room but it seemed like he was burning a lot of fuel for that room at about the same speeds as plans built.  Just curious.......

Those plans (OpenEZ) are copies of the RAF plans from the original "stock" LongEZ that are now in digital form. If you stick to the "stock" plans, you'll get the "stock" results. As for the hybrid LongEZ, some people trade their flying comfort for other things. I sat in the back seat of a LongEZ that had the longerons moved out 2 inches on each side, what a world of difference that made for comfort. They did trade that for a couple of gallons of fuel from each side.

Joel
The only way to get a set of plans is from individuals.  RAF is out of business and the plans have been off the markets since around 1985.  A lot of sets are out there for around 5 to 6 hundred.
EJ N36EJ

There are other options available. I would suggest download the plans, go to Kinko's, print them out and have a look, it'll cost about $50, give or take some.

Best regards,
Bruce
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:23:47 PM by BruceS »

Offline Marc Oppelt

• Arrgh!
    • View Profile
    • My Construction Log
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
That link I posted has everything you need.  You can print the plans on 11 x 17 paper...although they print out not quite full size.  I think its about 85% full size.  There are a few full size patterns you will need in the plans themselves.  If you're clever you can figure out how to get the scaling right for the few plans pages you need to be printed full size.

For the Open-EZ drawings, have the girl at the print shop adjust the scaling until the tick marks measure correctly.  We kept printing the same drawing until we got it right, then printed the entire set.  I don't remember the scaling on the drawings.  They print on big sheets of paper.

For the Special Performance Canard plans, I think we had to scale it to 137% to get the tick marks right.

In my opinion, if you're smart enough to build the plane in the first place...you should be able to make these plans work.

As a side note - what the previous poster said about adding width is correct.  My Long EZ is 4" wider right down the middle.  10" longer between the firewall and F22.  The extra room will make a huge difference in comfort, especially for the passenger.  Todd made me a canopy to fit.