Author Topic: Varieze question ? Please HELP!  (Read 5347 times)

Offline RonC

• View Profile
Varieze question ? Please HELP!
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Hi, I am wanting to buy a Varieze but I am really short on space in my hanger which has another high wing plane. I really need to know the TOTAL length. The POH shows 194 in. from nose to proppeller, but that does not fit the scale of the drawings if you get your ruller out. I am hoping it is the total length. I live in southwest Kansas and the closest Varieze is over 300 mi. The TOTAL height with nose wheel DOWN would be helpful but not as important. THANKS!!!!!

Offline pharroah

• View Profile
Re: Varieze question ? Please HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
I hangar a Citabria and a long EZ in my T hangar without problems.  Just have to be careful.  My friend has a Maule and LEZ in his hangar.   

Offline go ez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »
POH says 202" but this is likely to be nose to rear of winglet.
Std length fuselage nose to aft face of prop without spinner is about 160".
My experience is that the VE tucks in very neatly into otherwise unusable space.
Steve

Offline RonC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Thanks for the help! I own the end hanger, so I have an open corner of an otherwise T hanger, but still have the support beam in the way, I hope that makes sence. I have a Cessna 337 which takes up alot of room especially in the tail area of the hanger, so there's no room there. If I didn't have the extra corner I would be in trouble. Taking a wing off and on every time would really suck!

Offline miketdrew

• View Profile
    • http://michaeltdrew.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
I used a half t hangar with my VE, rolled in sideways on car dollies.  Everything was still attached, saved over half the cost of a full t hangar.
Had VariEze N840EZ LyCon 235 Flying

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
MikeTDrew,

I've often thought about that, . . How do you get the bird up on the dollies when you're ready to put 'er away ?   

Do you have any pics of this action ?

I was thinking of buying a smaller hangar where this would be required.

Glennbob

N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline miketdrew

• View Profile
    • http://michaeltdrew.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »
Well my solution was a motorcycle jack with a wood box that would fit under the rear portion of the fuselage that was reinforced.  Joe Person, who also uses a half t hangar across the way from my hangar, had a more elegant and engineered solution, a ramp that he rolled the plane on and then lever it up to roll sideways.  I found that my jacking system was very handy in dealing with the gear, brakes and wheels.  I do have pictures if anyone's interested.
Had VariEze N840EZ LyCon 235 Flying

Offline Joe Person

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
Shoot me a message at ezejoe@comcast.net, and I can send you pictures of my rolling platform - it is easy to build, mostly wood, and it allows me to do all wheel/tire/brake work, via a salvaged Toyota scissor jack (50 cents at a scrap yard for the jack, no kidding!
Joe Person
VariEze N79JN
Cozy #879 Under Construction
EAA Tech Counselor 4418
Bothell, WA (KPAE)