Author Topic: Off to Corvair College  (Read 5432 times)

Offline av-mech

• Leave nothing to chance
    • View Profile
Off to Corvair College
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »
Well after a grueling 4 day work week I am "Wheel up" in the morning for Barnwell South Carolina.  Going to hang out until Sunday afternoon at Corvair College #21.  You can get details about it at www.flycorvair.com.  I worked late everynight this week to complete jobs so I could leave on Friday morning.

Weather is looking good, Vari is ready and I get three days of no wife, kids, or customers!!!  Nothing but hardcore experimental aviation people who love to build engines.  I'll come home with grease under my nails for sure!

Note to Stan Zinger, I will call you Friday afternoon.

I hope the rest of you get some flying or building time this weekend.
Arnold Holmes
N80SH
IA 2712249
EAA 519850
TC#4476
Av-Mech.com

Offline EZPILOT742X

• View Profile
Re: Off to Corvair College
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
Have a great weekend and enjoy the Corvair College. That has grabbed my interest too and I like the idea of using that engine for a Vari or bare-bones Long-EZ.

Offline av-mech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
I have spent a lot of time around the corvair guys, the HMFIC is one of my best friends and I flew his Pietenpol Aircamper back and forth to OSH several times from Central Florida.  I think the Corvair is a viable alternative for both a high powered Vari (130 HP) and an adequte powered Long.  I am tickling with the idea of swapping my O-200 for one.  I am dedicated to refining the aerodynamics of the airframe first but who know's what the future holds.  A good corvair engine that produces at least 110HP can be built for something on the order of $5K so it holds potenetial from at least an economic standpoint.

Corvairs are not just for Pietenpols either, they are commonly found on Sonex's, Soneri's, Zenith 601/701, Midget Mustangs, Christavia's, Wag-a-Bond, Personal Cruiser, KR's, and several others.  With several hundred flying hours behind one myself I can attest to the fact that properly built, they work really good in an airplane.

www.flycorvair.com

Arnold Holmes
N80SH
IA 2712249
EAA 519850
TC#4476
Av-Mech.com

Offline BruceHughes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
What does a complete engine weigh?   I have 2 homebuilts (not canards) that need engines.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline av-mech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
Bruce,

The weight is dependent on how you configure the engine but as a general reference, if you airplane was set up for an O-200 then a corvair is a good replacement.
Arnold Holmes
N80SH
IA 2712249
EAA 519850
TC#4476
Av-Mech.com

Offline av-mech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
Had a headwind going and a headwind coming home but still managed to average 165 mph.  Corvair College was a smashing success with about 12 engines successfully test run and about a dozen others in various stages of disassembly or re-assembly.  75 people came from places like PA, CA, MI, SC, NC, FL, LA, IL, WA, OR......those are the ones I know about but others states were represented as well.  I have included a couple of photos for your viewing enjoyment.
Arnold Holmes
N80SH
IA 2712249
EAA 519850
TC#4476
Av-Mech.com

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »
Arnold do you have a Corvair in yours?

Beagle
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com

Offline av-mech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »
No I do not but I have been giving it some thought.  It's a little smaller, narrower, lighter than the O-200.  It will make an honest 100-125 hp depending on which version you build.  It is a six cylinder, short stroke engine and is very smooth.  I have flown a Pietenpol for about 200 hours with a Corvair so I have some experience with operating it.  I am continuing to think about it.
Arnold Holmes
N80SH
IA 2712249
EAA 519850
TC#4476
Av-Mech.com