Author Topic: Lord Mount  (Read 3338 times)

Offline n689mw

• View Profile
Lord Mount
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
I'm ordering new mount hardware for my O235 L2C LE Dynofocal mount. It looks like the Aircraft Spruce 08-3500 is $449 per set. Is there any reason not to use the Spruce 08-3600 "heavy duty" for $247?

Or is there anywhere to get them less expensively?

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Re: Lord Mount
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
I used the Barry part number 94150-40 on my O235-L2C Long-EZ (with a Brock engine mount).  They're $77 each from Aircraft Spruce.  I have no experience with the "heavy duty" parts you mentioned nor the Wicks EM100-005 which I was once told would work too.

The parts for my engine/mount are 2-3/8 inches in diameter.  It would be helpful if the catalogs would specify dimensions in addition to which Cessna or Mooney they fit :-(

--
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »
I recently asked the same question of several experienced builders and they had most often used those that are now so pricey.  I also talked to Spruce about the huge price increase and why they are so much more expensive than the 'better' ones priced lower.  No good explanation other than an increase from the supplier.  So the 'better' ones are what I ordered for my O-320.  Have not installed yet.  Look to be fine.  
Joe's right - it would be much more useful if they posted dimensions in addition to Cessna, Piper etc. 

Hope you post your findings! ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:50:59 PM by flyingwaldo »

Offline n689mw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »
The original plans actually call for 60883 which are available from Wicks for about $17.00. That sounds a lot more like what Rutan would have spec'd. But there may be a later Canard Pusher that changes it.

Any comments?
Mike

Offline n689mw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Ok, it appears to me that Rutan Spec'd 60883 Lycoming bushings for Dynafocal Mounts(CP28, page 9) that have a 7/8 inch hole and 71032 bushings for mounts with a 1 inch hole. The plans just show a "Dynafocal Bushing" but only shows the part number in the Bill of Materials. It also doesn't spec  the wide area washers that would be needed and doesn't mention the length of the steel spacer that you would need. As I said before, there may be a CP that specs a Lord or Barry mount but I haven't found it yet.

The premade Lord Mounts are probably just easier. I just couldn't believe that as frugal as he was with his builder's money, Rutan would have spec'd such an expensive little part if there were a less expensive alternative that would do just as good a job.

Anybody got a better explanation?