Author Topic: Desser Tires  (Read 4910 times)

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
Desser Tires
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
Anyone, besides Beagle, running the Desser version of the Lamb sized tires?  Do they get a lot more wear?  Do they fit inside tight wheel pants? 
They are much closer in price to the Cheng Shins now that the price jumped at ACS and Wicks.  Would feel better running an aircraft tire vs. whatever the Lambs were/are.....!

Offline vonjet

• View Profile
Re: Desser Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
There are a bunch of Lancair 320 guys that are trying these tires and some having issues. Not sure what but I think they were getting weird spliting patterns in the treads.

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Thanks Von, hope to hear of follow up if you hear of any on the cracking.  I'd much rather have a real aircraft tires on my EZ touching down at 80+ mph but I got talked into these little Lamb sized tires when I didn't know any better.  Could always go with bigger pants and bigger tires but had hoped these would work out first.
Thanks again.

Offline Bob Holliston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
What's wrong with the Cheng Shins? I've been running them for over 20 years with no problems.

Offline vonjet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Here is some comments from the Lancair guys about the Dresser tires. (Aero Classic)  (I have the pictures if anyone wants to see them)

"Here are a couple of pictures of the Aero Classics tire that split about a
month after installation, with about 20 flight hours and as many landings. I
spoke with the Dresser folks they agreed that the tire needed to be
replaced, and said they did not have any similar reports about other tires in
their line.  I am sending this tire back to them for forensic analysis"

Here is another regarding the tire cracking:
"Thanks for posting this - I need to get on the LML and do this myself. Please feel free to include my private email address cj6wms@gmail.com with any follow on postings so folks can correspond directly with me.

In follow up, the tire was not impacting anything during rotation or retraction except the pavement.  We examined the gear retraction on that side very carefully with the aircraft on jacks just last month, with this tire mounted.  Also, there are multiple cracks oriented in different directions, not just in the direction of rotation.  Some of them form a "Y", as matter of fact.  I am in contact with Dresser, and will send the tire back for analysis.

Interestingly, I replaced the main gear retract cylinder on that side last month because of a hydraulic leak.  Hydraulic fluid did get on the brake assembly during flight, and probably on the tire as well.  That problem was solved within a week of first showing itself - but that was the only anomaly with the right main gear assembly since I put the suspect tire on last month.  I would not expect contact with hydraulic fluid to adversely affect a tire and make it subject to this sort of phenomenon.

I think it's safest to consider this is a potential materials or manufacturing issue until proven otherwise, and visually inspect similar tires in the fleet to make sure there are no occurrences in other aircraft."

Offline dr0von0pico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
I'm with Bob Holliston. I didn't even realize the Cheng Shin's are not aircraft tires. Mine have held up very well.

- Andres Pico

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
Desser Tires
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
According to Dr. Bob, Desser agreed that the first batch of Aeroclassics 500x4.0 were not properly cured which led to problems for Melvill, Dick Rutan and Beagle.  However, the later batches are cured properly.  I'm testing a later tire now - it has heavier sidewall and heavier tread - and we did get lots of miles out of some of the undercured ones.  I've put a new one on with a new Chin Cheng on my Berkut and I'll see how the wear compares.  Mike Melvill told me he'd never go back to tube tires - despite the initial problems with the Aeroclassics.
Dr. Bob gets them cheaper - we pay $40/per, last time I checked.  I've heard Chin Chengs were getting more rare recently - and prices went up too...anyone else see those concerns?

Beagle
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com