Author Topic: Flying in SoCal  (Read 9318 times)

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Flying in SoCal
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
Can anyone regularly flying in southern California tell me whether or not there have been any large airspace revisions in the past couple of years?  I'm particularly interested in avoiding the San Diego and Los Angeles airspaces as I will be based at Oceanside (KOKB).

Sure, I could update my portable GPS but Garmin makes that such an expensive P.I.T.A. these days.  Paper charts in the cockpit are not a good option for me.  My Skyview is current but alas, not flying yet :-(

Again, I just want to avoid the San Diego class C and LAX class B airspaces.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
Re: Flying in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Can anyone regularly flying in southern California tell me whether or not there have been any large airspace revisions in the past couple of years?... Again, I just want to avoid the San Diego class C and LAX class B airspaces.
Well, Joe, if you think that SD is a Class C, then I'd say yes, there have been some pretty large revisions, because SD is a Class B, not a C.

Joe, you're a friend (and obviously as cheap as I am if not more so), but I will have to admonish you here and say either update the GPS or get a set of LA sectional and TAC charts ($11.85 for both from iPilot), or stay out of the LA airspace.  You cannot (however legal it may or may not be, and even if between the Class B airspaces or over the Class C's) safely and rationally fly around the incredibly complex airspace south of the San Gabriel Mountains without current charting information.

Bite the bullet - spend the $11.85 - I know that paper charts are a PITA in a LE - they're enough of a PITA in the COZY.  But you really don't have a choice - it's either that, or the GPS update.  You've got to know the Class B boundaries, on top, bottom and sides.  As well as the VFR corridors over LAX and the "tunnel" in the SD Class B.  Plus, the Class C's over Ontario and Burbank, and the innumerable Class D's.  I've flown in or around most of the Class B's in the US - the LA/SD combination is easily the most complex one there is, even including the BOS/NY/DC corridor.

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
Yep, I think I already knew the answer but thanks, Marc -- you're right.  Good advice; question withdrawn!

--
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
Joe
Do you have an iPad/iPhone or Android?
If you have you can download the WingsX App for a month's free trial
I have an iPad mini with WingsX and it has updated Sectionals although I have the yearly subscription
Still way cheaper than Garmin updates
Easyrider

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
No iPad/iPhone or Android (at least not that I'd want in the cockpit).  I paid Garmin for a database update this one last time as this is the last major X-C for my old Garmin.  Meanwhile, my up-to-date Dynon Skyview will be sitting in my hangar :-( 

<rant>
It isn't just the cost (although at $50 every 28 days or $XXX per year it's bad enough) but it's also the hassle.  While dumbing down the update process so Anyone(tm) can do it, Garmin eliminated the ability to directly download the file.  Now their proprietary "Communicator Plug-in" and a compatible browser is required and the GPS must be plugged in to the computer at the time of the download.  Another piece of software to endlessly update (it's now at ver. 4.0.4.0) and deal with.  And don't even get me started on Garmin's flat-rate minimum repair fee.  Garmin makes good stuff but my next airplane will be "Garmin free".
</rant>

--
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:

Offline BruceHughes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:27:08 PM »
Thanks for the warnings on cost; they will not get my business.

I do have a Samsung II with AnywhereMap.  Am trying to learn how to use it.   I consider it VERY unfriendly to users; maybe they will improve for those who purchase later.

One problem with Samsung:  It comes with an automatic cutoff in case you just lay it down somewhere; that saves the battery.  But you have to remember to touch the screen to keep it functioning.  The original cutoff time was 5 minutes.   I reset that to 30 minutes but that is the maximum you can use.  I consider that dangerous.  And when you touch the screen, you have to be careful where you touch; you can be launched into a description of an airport in the area.  Then you have to touch the [done] button to get back.  AnywhereMap also provides for lots of things we will not use (as I don't have a VOR, for example).   You also can get the magnification wrong and the location off.   THEN try to find your closest airport.   I think the software writer had never been in an aircraft when the engine quit; it is just not user friendly.

Maybe I will regard it with more favor when I learn to use it, if that ever happens.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
I have an iPad Mini with WingsX7 for about a month
So far so good
It has a screen lock function which locks out accidental screen touching
The definition is good and the size great for a LongEZ
I use a remote GPS mounted on the headrest connecting via Bluetooth
I have put velcro on the back and I have a a thigh strap with velcro
Another advantage it fits in the top pocket of a military flying suit
My Garmin days are also numbered
Easyrider

Offline Fred N.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »
I really enjoyed JDubner's: <rant>.  I pretty much agree with it.  I also have a skyview in hand waiting to have the install completed.  My wife has an Ipad and would let me use it for backup.  Could I just strap it to my thigh like my old clipboard?  Does anyone here use Fltplan.com apps?  I've been using their flight planning but have not signed up on an app yet.

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
I appreciate the discussion here...
My three sons are deep into technology and i enjoy them and you guys discussing things on the cutting edge. While i play with a few gadgets, the primary nav scan on cross countries always defaults to three things: the GPS direction arrow, the altimeter needle, and the great outdoors.
Merry Christmas-
Bill
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
... I will be based at Oceanside (KOKB) ...

Made it -- only 4.2 hours non-stop from northwestern OR (with an 80 knot tailwind!). APRS track here: http://tinyurl.com/clvgm6n.

Now that I'm here, is there any local EZ flying activity tomorrow (Saturday, Dec 29)?  I'm a $25 taxi ride from the airport but would consider it part of the $100 hamburger activity.

--
Joe
(503) 836-2022
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:33:24 PM by jdubner »
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:

Offline easyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
Joe
I see you flew over Sonora @ 220 MPH!
Nice going
http://tinyurl.com/clvgm6n
Happy New Year
Easyrider
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:34:59 PM by jdubner »

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
Joe, check with Beagle.  They are meeting up at Dave's Berkut Hangar around noon.

Offline LongEZDaveA

• My Long EZ at Oshkosh 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Very nice speeds Joe!
Dave Adams, Long EZ N83DT (Race 83) Villa Ridge, MO

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Joe, check with Beagle.  They are meeting up at Dave's Berkut Hangar around noon.

I didn't have any email addresses or phone numbers for him (or you) and the weather was forecast to change so I just left and flew to Phoenix <g>.  Still some tailwind although nothing like the earlier flight.  APRS track here: http://tinyurl.com/dxwdxre 

The O235 Long-EZ can't take credit for the nice groundspeeds (it cruises at only 145 KTAS) but it sure does well on fuel.  I landed at Falcon Field (KFFZ, Mesa, AZ) with 7 gallons of Oregon gas remaining!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:21:36 PM by jdubner »
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:

Offline Fred N.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
Are you still in AZ?  I enjoyed seeing your flight tracks, groundspeeds etc. I hope you will let us see the trip back whenever that is.  Were you successful in avoiding Class B space in LA and SD?