Author Topic: Source for Cables for Brock Quadrant?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline dkreidel

• View Profile
Source for Cables for Brock Quadrant?
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
After 29+ years and nearly 3,000 hours of mostly trouble-free flying I need to replace the mixture control cable. I've tried to track down a source for the cables including talking to Melvill.  Any one know of a source for these cables? Inner cable needed but inner and housing would be even better!

I'm sure I will hear advice about getting rid of the Brock stuff and installing Cablecraft push-pulls but my Long has an intricate system with throttle and mixture controls in the rear seat, and I really don't want to pull all that system down - especially since it has worked flawlessly.

Thanks

Dick Kreidel
N888EZ
SoCal

Offline LongEZDaveA

• My Long EZ at Oshkosh 2008
    • View Profile
Re: Source for Cables for Brock Quadrant?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Sam,

I had to replace my carb heat cable a few years back.  Check with your local bike shop.  A cable for a bicycle built for two is what you ask for.  That's what I did and just trimmed the length to fit.

I'm with you on the satisfaction of the Rutan design.  You have to inspect the cables just like anything else.  I've just had to replace the one cable in about 1200 hours.
Dave Adams, Long EZ N83DT (Race 83) Villa Ridge, MO

Offline dkreidel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:27:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip Dave  - and will respond to your PM

Dick

Offline srothert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »
Dick,
Try the bike shop at an REI store (Recreational Equipment Outfitters) and ask for cables for a tandem bike.  The newer ones have teflon liners.

Steve Rothert
Long-Ez N49SR

Offline dkreidel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
Excellent - there's an REI nearby. Are the barrel inner cable ends the same as the Brock quadrant?

Dick