Author Topic: So I want to build... BUT  (Read 6652 times)

Offline jhicks

• View Profile
So I want to build... BUT
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
Hey guys.

So I want to build a canard. (still undecided on which). The best speed/fuel efficiency really intrigues me.
BUT... I do not feel comfortable with my knowledge on composites and what it takes to build. I have done a TON of reading on the forums.
Talked to a lot of people, but I still dont understand completely whats going on. I would like to get some hands on experience somehow.

Any ideas? Any good build threads websites that would help?
Still feel in over my head if I were to get a project or something.

Thanks,
Jamie Hicks
"You never win, You always lose, You have to play."
Anonymous

Offline patchntx

• builder
    • View Profile
Re: So I want to build... BUT
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Nothing in the plans is all that complicated or takes any special training. Just follow the directions and try not to deviate. If you are concerned with your skills, take an EAA Sportair composite workshop. They are relatively cheap and there is probably one in your area. Join your local EAA for sure and find a tech counselor that knows EZ's. The only other thing to decide is what to build. The only projects out there that have a lot of support and full plans with templates are the Long EZ through Terf plans and Open EZ drawings, or the Cozy MK IV where the plans can be purchased new. There are lots of vendors with parts and support available for those two designs. Maybe full plans available for E-Racers but I don't know anything about that bird.
Scott "Patch" Humphrey
Cozy III Ch. 8
LongEZ.Patch@gmail.com
http://websites.expercraft.com/longezpatch
817-891-0910

Offline BruceHughes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
Hi Jamie

If you join CSA (see the home page on this website) you will get a directory and newsletters.  $30  It is worth it just to get the directory.  Then you can see who lives close to you.  Go visit.  Learn from them.   Some are building.   Some are flying and can give you a ride.
Some are wishing, like you.  There are about 30 so some states don't have a "rep".

Also you will find in the newsletters (around page 18 or so) a list of "state representatives".  Those are particularly helpful and
knowledgeable guys, one for each state.   

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline jhicks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
I have been wanting to join the CSA but I dont know how to do it. The homepage just talks about it unless I am missing something.
Who do I need to send the $30 to sign up?

This week i am liking the Cozy iv.

thanks guys
Anonymous

Offline BruceHughes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »
HI jamie

Terry Schubert is editor, printer, stapler, postage clerk, etc.   Send him $30 (for 2013)(you get the directory, April, and July newsletters
in a bundle).   He is at 9283 Lindbergh Blvd,  Olmsted Falls, OH   44138-2407    Make the check out TO HIM, not CSA.   If there is any
problem, send an email to jschuber@juno.com    Yes, that is jschuber  NOT jschubert.    Juno has a  reason.

After you read a few, you may want to order newsletters from 2012 or even older.  He has them.

Bruce Hughes   :)

Offline srothert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
Aircraft Spruce still sells the Composite Practice Kit.  It is a good intro to "hands on" experience.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php?clickkey=180049

Steve Rothert
Long-Ez N49SR
Albuquerque, NM

Offline Vandy12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:13:02 AM »
That's exactly the advice I was going to give (below).  The practice kit, while very basic, gives a great opportunity to practice a few layups and see how it all works.  Also, Burt's "Moldless Composite Sandwich Aircraft Construction", also found here: http://www.amazon.com/Moldless-Composite-Sandwich-Aircraft-Construction/dp/B000BUJP5A is an invaluable resource.

Good luck!

Brian
Brian Strack
Edmond, Oklahoma
Varieze 369MS - in refurb
Sundance Airpark (KHSD)
Air Force Flight Standards Agency

Offline LongEZDaveA

• My Long EZ at Oshkosh 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
Jamie,

If you are ever in my area (just SW of STL) for a few days, I'd be happy to get you over the hump on composite building.  It is quite easy to build an adequate structure using the methods taught in the Long EZ plans.  It is also VERY time consuming.  Certainly not like putting an RV together.  Once you see how easy it is, you'll probably agree that "even a cave man can do it".
Dave Adams, Long EZ N83DT (Race 83) Villa Ridge, MO

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »
Lots of great aircraft out there these days. I wonder how many types you can build stock and have a great performer, and then if you are so inclined, over time pick up another 30 mph or so...
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline jhicks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
Dave when works for you? I would really like to learn a thing or 2 and see your Long EZ again.
Anonymous

Offline LongEZDaveA

• My Long EZ at Oshkosh 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
Send me an email and we'll work out a time that's good for both of us - long83dt at charter dot net.
Dave Adams, Long EZ N83DT (Race 83) Villa Ridge, MO