Author Topic: Installing AP Servo  (Read 2170 times)

Offline n7188u

• View Profile
Installing AP Servo
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
Hi to the group,

After the trip to RR this year (form Miami) I decided to install an autopilot in my LongEZ. I got a "new in the box" TruTrak Digitrak (yes, a little outdated but a nice unit nevertheless).

The TruTrak instructions are a bit lacking for the LongEZ or Cozy install so I wonder if some kind soul out there could send me what they may have on installing the TT or even the Trio or Dynon APs. I figure that either LongEZ of Cozy instructions would work. Pictures, drawings or writeups would all be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Chris

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
Re: Installing AP Servo
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
Chris-
I installed the TT roll servo on the main spar aft wall on a plywood pad with bolts, similar to the stock aileron hardware pads on the main spar ends.
The servo rod attaches to the aileron torque tube where it comes out of the firewall. Where there were two holes in the flange for the aileron tube rod ends I added two triangles to trap the three rod ends, with two matching holes for the aileron push rods and a new hole above them for the servo rod. The servo rod is above and parallel to the right aileron torque tube along the main spar. Just installed the servo on the aft spar wall where it went without shortening the tube. There was a picture in a recent CSA newsletter (a year ago?) with Buzz Lightyear substuting as the servo. Will be glad to send a pic but it is probably available here in the CSA pictures.
I won't wrestle with the pitch servo details here unless you need it too. Let me know if you do.
What a great addition to the plane.
Bill James
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers