Author Topic: Rudder cable runs - ADVICE needed please  (Read 3658 times)

Offline kevkevkel

• View Profile
Rudder cable runs - ADVICE needed please
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
I am installing the nose mounted brake cylinder assembly as per Bob Davenports blueprints and MY QUESTION IS:  Does everybody who installed nose mounted brake cyclinders continue to use the CS 15 belcranks and CS71 belcrank brackets on the firewall or is there an alternative method of running the rudder cables.  I note Debbie Iwatate advocates retaining the CS15/CS71 set-up.  I have high performance rudders and flush rudder belhorns with CS springs at the pedals.

Essentially what I'm trying to figure is if there is any way to run the rudder cable from the brake pedal/spring IN ONE CONTINUOUS RUN up to and round the AN210-2 pulley/CS72 assembly to the quick disconnects aft of the spar  ---  Long Ez plans page 16-8  ---  (e.g.  using a bowden cable through the firewall to just short of the pulleys) or are the CS 15/CS71 essential??????

Regards and thanks,

Kevin Kelly 

Offline go ez

• View Profile
Re: Rudder cable runs - ADVICE needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Yes -  for each side I made up another pulley bracket set and pulley and used a continuous run of 1/16" cable from the rudder pedal to the wing root attachment - use two split pins to hold the cable in place in exactly the same way as the original pulley. I also took the nyloflow cable sleeve right through the firewall right to the pulley.
Simpler, lighter and very convenient - and safer too as there is no risk of a thimble assembly snagging on the firewall hole and restricting braking.
Reliable and trouble free in service since 2003.

Photos available if required
 :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:15:55 AM by go ez »

Offline kevkevkel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:02:35 AM »
Thanks.  Did you use 2" pulleys at this location too?

KK

Offline go ez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
Use the standard AN210-2A (MS24566-2B) ones - ie just the same as those Rutan specified on the std upper rudder cable brackets.
I also made equivalently nicely radiused lightweight thinner aluminium brackets with 3/16" pivot bolt and 3/16" attach bolts & nut plates  - the loads are much lower so no need for 1/4" pivot bolt or hefty brackets etc.

Steve

Offline kevkevkel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Thank you.  Your advice is much appreciated.  You offered some photos.  Can you please email direct to:kevkevkel(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Regards,

Kevin

Offline go ez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
Email sent as requested
Regards
Steve