Author Topic: KANAB 2014  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
KANAB 2014
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:22 PM »
The first time I raced at a R.A.C.E. event was Kanab in 1997. I came in third, in my class, of three. When i crossed the finish line the two VariEze drivers that beat me were sitting in lawn chairs drinking sodas; Savier and Hertzler.
Those that attended the Silver Anniversary (25th) event this year were treated to great weather and great company. I would say that the attendance was quite top heavy with canard stalwarts. The second race heat almost finished before the turbulence showed up. I heard there were about 35 airplanes on the ramp and even though some left early, still 60 people at dinner Saturday nite. Great hospitality from the folks at Aikens Lodge and nice shade to sit by the pool.
A couple of poolside sessions a day made for plenty of airplane talk. Among things I enjoyed included having a tailwind both ways for the five hour trip from Fort Worth, sitting in the shade listening to Mike Melville talk about how much fun the Starship was to fly, Dave Ronneberg describing how many Long EZs and Berkuts he built, and the interesting side discussion I had with Mark Zeitlin about whether the canard stalls or not. Great fun. Oh yes, and catching up with many longtime friends. And one more, the vibrating spectacle of multiple canards zooming overhead at the finish line.
A highlight of this Kanab was John Lambert unveiling his magnificent LARGE book on the history of the RACE events from about 1983 to the recent times. It has the numbers for all but a couple of the races and an abundance of pictures of pilots and friends through the years. John did a great job of gathering images and history. Many of the pictures are of one person, or two or three individuals together, but there is often even more to see in the background. Very special to see the places and faces and appreciate the scope of Shirl Dickey's RACEs even for those of us that were not major players. Many of us will see pictures of our own planes we have not seen before. I have tried without success to describe the feeling at the start of the race of floating shoulder to shoulder with fifteen other Ezes but the pictures say it all. I took my copy to work and smiled as other pilots were wowed and I didn't have to say a thing.
I highly recommend the color version. Thanks so much John Lambert. And Char and Gary for your years of... being there.
During almost every flight there is a time when I realize where I am and what I am doing, and I am a little overwhelmed in a good way. A great way. The trip to Oshkosh this year certainly called that moment up. The flight to and from Kanab, and the time there, was the perfect thread to keep a lot of things knit together. Maybe we are getting a chance to appreciate some people and some things in this country while we still can.
Gettin ready for the next trip-
Bill James

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:23:03 AM by Bill James »
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Re: KANAB 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
Great seeing you there Bill.  Points well made.  I enjoyed my first race :)
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
Re: KANAB 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:33 AM »
Thanks Bill.   Was hoping someone would tell us what we missed.  Maybe next year....