Author Topic: VariEzes at Rough River 2015  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
VariEzes at Rough River 2015
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
There are lots of great pictures from the Rough River weekend. I like Ron Springer with his faithful black lab partner in the back seat saddling up for home.
Plenty of great airplanes there. One shot of the shark fin feeding frenzy has eight of the nine VariEzes center stage lined out on the ramp; a picture surrounded by a thousand words, times ten. ☺
Then there’s my Panavision Technicolor video of the RR area with the StaggerEze panel pizazz in the foreground. There is never enough time or attention span as you want when an owner is willing to talk about their plane.
Thanks Nick Ugolini and Terry Schubert for hosting again and for my specially engraved Rough River knife door prize. Everyone needs the Rutan Aircraft Flying Museum update and T-shirt from Ryszard Zadow. And it’s a treat to get within earshot of Robert and Valerie Harris to hear them providing educated fixes for almost anything, and to maybe get a wisp of what they might be up to in their shop. As always those that had the chance to visit with other canard folks at Rough River this year were glad for the experience. Oh, was Dave Adams there?  ☺  With all the rides he gave I wouldn’t be surprised if his flight time there was higher than his ground time there.
I filled another page in my notebook with details on the nav technology octopus, watching what others are doing versus my rudimentary system of the GPS pointer and the altimeter. Whether we carry our technology in our front shirt pocket or in three bags, I would hope to never have to try to find RR without the GPS. Ah yes, I have done it; but those were the good old days.
I am enjoying replaying the images in my mind from the fly in but I may shoot Shane Banquer for that little ditty he sang in the van that keeps replaying in my head and won’t go away, “…And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round,...” Three days later and the tune is still going, round and round…
The heart of the weekend for me was the flight there. The marvel of again sitting there suspended solidly in that well worn seat lofting across state after state with a warm heart and a nod at every scan of the instruments, passing alongside brilliant bulging white clouds with a graceful ballet swoop from a little stick to the left and then a little stick the right, taking a longer moment off to ogle a lake or airport, taking another moment to adjust the posture a bit and watch the winglet; just watch it. At times if you hold your tongue just right the airframe structure seems to go grayscale with you propelling yourself across this special span of life powered only by the thrust of your passion. And i'm not talking just airplanes...
The trip home was significant in it’s own right, because it was with wingmen. Racing between clouds I wondered, what does the VariEze showing portend? What do builders of all types have under wraps out there, those that don’t choose to hear the naysayers or participate in the slowdown?
Time will tell.
…And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round…
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:55:01 PM by Bill James »
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline Ron Springer

• View Profile
Re: VariEzes at Rough River 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:07 AM »
Thanks Bill!