Author Topic: Economics of buying/owning a Long-EZ?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Grant

• View Profile
Economics of buying/owning a Long-EZ?
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:56:25 AM »
New to the group; apologies for the newbie question:
I have long been smitten from afar by the Long-EZ, especially its fuel efficiency and range, and I'm increasingly disenchanted with the cost (fuel and otherwise) of conventional rentals (e.g., C-172).  So how would the economics work out for someone who bought a used Long-EZ and who has maybe 3-5 hours of flight time each month?   Unfortunately, building isn't in the cards for me at this stage of my life.

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
Re: Economics of buying/owning a Long-EZ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
So how would the economics work out for someone who bought a used Long-EZ and who has maybe 3-5 hours of flight time each month?   Unfortunately, building isn't in the cards for me at this stage of my life.
At only 40 - 60 hours/year of flight time, your costs will be dominated by fixed costs - i.e., hangar rental, insurance, and Condition Inspection. If you're in a cheap part of the country, hangars may be $200/mo. - expensive part and they may be $800/mo. Assuming you didn't build the plane and you want hull insurance, expect to pay $100 - $200/mo. for that as well. A good CI will cost at least $500 - $1K (I charge $900). Add that up and you're looking at $350/mo. - $1050/mo. in fixed costs alone. Now add in 6 - 8 gph depending upon whether you've got an O-235 or O-320, and the price of fuel at your home base (call it $4/gal). So you've got $24 - $32/hr in variable costs (plus a few for oil, and $10/hr for engine fund).

Add all that up for the hours you project and you get your answer. It will not be cheap if you're only flying 40 - 60 hours/year - figure at least $100/hr. Fly twice as much and the cost drops substantially per hour.

But you don't own an airplane to be economical - you own one because you want to and can afford it, and you want to have your own plane that you can maintain and customize as you see fit. It's a hobby - some folks drink, some bowl or ski. My COZY MKIV costs me about $100/hr, and I fly about 100 - 120 hours/year.

Offline Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »
Great info - that was exactly the kind of breakdown I was looking for.
   Thanks,
   Grant

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »
A couple of variables.

Give me an e-mail and I'll see if you have a neighbor canard guy.

While hangar rent is the biggest item, we fit two canards in virtually any sized hangar - so you may be able cut that cost in half.

We find that new guys should maintain hull insurance for at least a year - and if handy, you can do a lot of the repairs and maintenance yourself (Except the yearly inspection).   The seller should spring for a recent yearly inspection - or discount if not.  We have good inspectors around the country, like Mark Zeitlin too.

David at CanardFinder dot net
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com