Author Topic: Long EZ Retracting step  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Marl

• View Profile
Long EZ Retracting step
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »
At Rough River, several planes had a retracting step mounted just ahead of the instrument panel and just over the lower longeron. 

I took several pics, but neglected the most important info---dimensions!!

Anyone have any drawings or ??

Thanks!!

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
Re: Long EZ Retracting step
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
     A few of my notes when installing mine:
     Make the sliding step as long as practical but no more than needed.
     Mine is mounted on the aft side of the lower instrument panel bulkhead. You can use two metal tubes with the outer tube attached to the bulkhead. I think there is also a lot to be said for two tubes.
     Instead I used an angle steel bar for the sliding step, cut down to 1 inch x 1/4 inch by about 13 in. I started to use a full length fixed metal brace/support above and below the steel slider but ended up having a 6 inch hard point (wood and glass) against the left sidewall and floor bolted to the inst panel bulkhead (with liberal flox and BID glass attachment to spread the stress further out on the bulkhead and floor). This supports the weight. For the middle brace (bracing down) there is a 6 inch aluminum angle brace bolted to the middle of the lower instrument panel bulkhead.
     The sliding step is long enough to allow for a 5 inch step when extended, with the right end extending a little past where it meets against the middle 6 inch alum top brace.
     It works. Get started, the details will come to you.
     Bet you are already finished.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:56:00 PM by Bill James »
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
Re: Long EZ Retracting step
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:12:24 AM »
I find that I leave the retracting step extended so often that I'd be more attracted to the kick step - a little 3"x2" door that hinges at the top - I've got the plans from some Varieze guy who was selling his Varieze plans - it's in my library - likely scanned already.

Get in touch

David at Canardfinder dot net
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com