Author Topic: Greetings all, from a hopeful future EZ driver  (Read 2951 times)

Offline kemmc

• View Profile
Greetings all, from a hopeful future EZ driver
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
Hello folks,

I'm a Canadian bush pilot (mostly on floats, although some skis) who is looking at buying a LongEZ at some point in time.
With the Canadian dollar so tremendously low, it probably wont be for a year or so. That means more time for research!
I've been reading the recommended reading lists; Terry Yake's guide etc.
I'm not quite up to building, but I do enjoy getting my hands into the insides of any plane I fly. One of the huge draws of a LongEZ is I can modify anything that I want to, without having a ream of paperwork and stuff to fill out; not to mention the wonderful efficiency of the design.
I'm 5'7 and 160lbs as well, so weight is pretty much a non issue. From what I've been reading I might need a booster seat to fly it though.
Few things I had on my mind, and if anyone could give their thoughts that would be extremely appreciated!

A LongEZ seems to go for 30-50k or so. So does a Mooney M20C. Well, maybe a not so nice M20C, but why did you decide to go LEZ instead of something more conventional? M20's will do a few knots less and burn a few GPH more, but can carry a bit more..

Also, this might be a non issue for builders, but what do most of ya'll do for inspections/annuals? I imagine there aren't too many outfits that know the LEZ that intimately, outside of Freeflight Composites.

Are there any "pain in the ass" bits of the plane that come to mind? ex, on a supercub exit is only on one side so its a PITA to dock sometimes, cessnas you have to dance around to fuel it without scuffing the paint, dhc2...well....its slow? its damn near perfect for what it was made for.

pretty much all there is on my mind right now. any responses are greatly appreciated!

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
Re: Greetings all, from a hopeful future EZ driver
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:47 PM »
A LongEZ seems to go for 30-50k or so.
Some less, some more. Depends on the panel, the engine, and the state of the plane. Some older O-235's are in the low 20's. Only show planes go for 50K at this point - the prices have come down over the past few years.

... why did you decide to go LEZ instead of something more conventional?
For all the reasons you list. EAB's allow you to work on them yourself. I have a COZY MKIV because it holds more people and things but still handles like a LE, and is extremely economical.

Also, this might be a non issue for builders, but what do most of ya'll do for inspections/annuals? I imagine there aren't too many outfits that know the LEZ that intimately, outside of Freeflight Composites.
Ummm, FFC is hardly the only place to have CI's done - I did about 15 last year, and over 30 in the past 3. There are a few other folks that do them as well, although not in the northeast.

In Canada, the owner of an EAB aircraft is allowed to do the CI equivalent. Unless the owner is especially knowledgeable about the plane, that isn't necessarily a good idea, but it is legal. Legal and safe aren't always the same thing.

Are there any "pain in the ass" bits of the plane that come to mind?
Sure - every last damn LE is different from every other last damn LE. No two are equivalent, so you have to learn YOUR plane inside out. Most builders did not think of maintenance or modification or upgrades when building, so I find that when I work on someone's plane, things take 5X as long as they should because I have to wrestle with everything.

Offline kemmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
Thank you very much Marc for your time!

besides FFC where else would one go? I ask as well because of those reasons you stated, I do want a pretty good inspection before I buy as well. I've been googling a fair bit, but no one else has come up.

legal and safe are two completely different camps in my view as well..

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »
besides FFC where else would one go? I ask as well because of those reasons you stated, I do want a pretty good inspection before I buy as well.
As I said, I do inspections, and have traveled around the country to do so. James Redmon does them in TX, the Harrises at EZJets in TN, Dale Martin at Owl Eagle Composites in ID, and a few others that I'd rather not recommend.

Some only do PB's, some do CI's as well. I'm an A&P so can do both PB's and CI's. See the link in my signature.

And join the canard-aviators mailing list on yahoo if you're serious about a Long-EZ - there's a lot of discussion over there. As you can see by looking at the activity list here, it's almost dead.

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
I do help people find good canards if you want advice for that.  I find the O-320 Long EZs went up in price a few years ago and are holding, the O-235/O-290 prices seem to be lower.  I was once your size, but am heavier now - and I moved my seat to save room - but in my current canard I have a box structure that moves me forward a couple of inches, more at the top of the seat than the bottom - provides some more space for odd things. 

As to metal planes, I prefer the Tiger to the Mooney, but when I was young the Mooney was not rented out...but I have a set of comparison blurbs between the various canards and the Tiger, etc.  Get in touch: David at CanardFinder dot Net.  I can also provide the Canadian guys you can go visit with if you prefer.  I think Canada prefers a plane have 100 hours on it before importation - projects not allowed imported...

David Orr 9499391479
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com