Author Topic: Builder Advice Please  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Sactu1

• View Profile
Builder Advice Please
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »
Hello.

I'm looking at an O-235 Long-Ez for possible purchase - inspecting it in the next couple of weeks.  The instrument panel is OK, but I would want to update a few of the steam gauges and redo the layout.   I have a question for those who have built a Long-Ez - is the instrument panel an integral component of the structure, and/or can I build a new one to replace the older one.  The current owner can't help me with this advice, as he didn't build the aeroplane himself.  Appreciate any advice.

Tks,
Jim 

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
Re: Builder Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »
I'm looking at an O-235 Long-Ez for possible purchase - inspecting it in the next couple of weeks.
Just out of curiosity, which one?

... is the instrument panel an integral component of the structure, and/or can I build a new one to replace the older one.
While the IP is structural, many folks have cut it out and replaced it with an aluminum panel. If done correctly (and there have been numerous discussions on the canard-aviators and COZY mailing lists for how to do this), it will be as strong and stiff as the original integral IP.

I would also highly recommend a pre-buy examination from a qualified examiner - I've seen too many 2nd - 3rd owners get bitten because they didn't know what they were looking at or how to evaluate a canard composite aircraft properly. Especially if they're buying the plane from a non-builder, who also doesn't know exactly what they're looking at.

I've performed about 30 pre-buy exams and 30 or so Condition Inspections on canard aircraft in the past 3.5 years, so I have a bit of experience in this area.

Offline Sactu1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »
Thanks Marc - helps a lot. 

The aeroplane is in Perth, Western Australia - a tad south from where you guys are located : )

Cheers,
Jim

Offline Tom Mann

• Velocity N951TM
    • View Profile
    • Mann's Airplane Factory
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:45 AM »
I'm sure Marc would inspect it if you covered his expenses.
:-D

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
I'm sure Marc would inspect it if you covered his expenses.
:-D
Maybe even only 1/2 - haven't been down under in 30 years - on our honeymoon in '86. It would be a great 30th anniversary present :-).

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:04:10 PM »
From what I remember there are some builders down your way that might be more helpful with a look see at this plane.  Buying a homebuilt without personal qualifications or knowledgeable inspection is not the best approach.  Wayne is certainly knowledgeable of the Long EZ.  May not want the liability but you ought to find someone. Well worth the money.  If you blindly buy a junker it could get real expensive.  There are several of those actually flying.....

Offline Sactu1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 12:42:52 AM »
Believe me, I would love to have the reddies to bring you down our way, but this retired Air Force dude has an expensive aeroplane addiction to feed.  I actually spent three very enjoyable years on a military exchange assignment with USAF Space Command in Colorado Springs CO in the late nineties, got my US pilot license (just needed a flight test and pass a test on local procedures), and flew around Colorado - you guys have some GREAT flying over there.

I'll start putting the feelers out for a local person who knows the ins and outs - as you say, it is worth the expense.

Thanks for the feedback guys - appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jim

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »
I try to keep track of the Oz canards - there are a few guys out in Western Australia - have you contacted them, the local population tends to be friends but if they built their plane they also tend to be brutally honest if there is a problem airplane amongst them. 

I'm not here often enough to help promptly - but touch base David at CanardFinder dot net to get the names I have out that way.

David Orr
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com

Offline Sactu1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
Wilco mate - thanks.