Author Topic: cooling baffling help  (Read 2170 times)

Offline tomkat01

• View Profile
cooling baffling help
« on: January 22, 2006, 01:33:28 PM »
Help!
 I am building a long ez with armpit style cooling scoops . I need to find a source for the cooling baffling templates for the berkut style cooling tin. I am willing to pay anybody for there time to copy plans or buy what the have . I just don't to try  trail and terror if I dont have to.
thanks for any advice or sugestions were to look.
Tom

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
cooling baffling help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
Try berkut13.com and see if he can send you a copy of the templates.  Or you can look on his website to get the essence of it.

But the basics for the longez was to bend metal around a lot of odd shapes and drop the baffle straight from the cylinder to the lower cowl---uuuggghhh!

The berkut style basically has 4 nice "solid" wall (back, front, left, right) with no "real" bends except the tabs at the end to fasten them together.  Instead of bending the major "walls" around to seal the weird shapes, you use "shelves" to do this instead.  You can "shelve the rear baffle in such a way as to get out of the way from much of the starter and alternator.  When you do this, your "drop" the the lower cowl is much shorter and cleaner.

The intercylinder baffles and the curvy pieces that go around the cylinders are pretty much the same.  I would recommend to include using the standard intercylinder baffle.

If you want downdraft cooling like I had in my longez (see my website), the baffling is even more simpler since you have no alternator or starter to even go around---extremely clean installation.
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML