Author Topic: New Varieze  (Read 6614 times)

Offline eric r

• View Profile
New Varieze
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:28:49 AM »
Well, I just bought a varieze in Cody Wyoming and flew it home to Florida. The builder (his second varieze) still flys his 2800+ hour varieze, and finished this one last year. I can't say enough great things about Bob Evans and his wife Linda. They took a lot of time with me, and treated me like family. A wonderfull experience. The airplane is great, performance was great (averaged 180mph on 3.5 to 4.5 hour legs), and trip was a lot of fun. For all you out there: I am a big pilot (6-3 and 220 at least!). Bob made the cockpit roomy in the front, and I was completely comfortable. Now I have a 2005 Varieze @ 615# empty weight, O-200 with a Bob Evans prop, 15 gallon wing strakes and three gallon reserve. It will outlast my 3.5 hour airplane ride comfort zone (in ANY airplane). I can carry a reduced fuel load and a FAA normal passenger, and still easily make the two hour trips that are the norm in Florida.

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Re: New Varieze
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »
eric r,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the fraternity.  

I know Bob and agree with your assessment of him: he's one fine gent and Linda is a wonderful lady.  When I visit in Cody he provides me hangar space so I'm particularly pleased to see your Varieze gone -- now there'll only be two EZs in that little hangar :-)

If you'd like a few digital images of your airplane while airborne (taken by my GIB while in formation w/ Bob last summer), Email me at jdubner at yahoo dot com.
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline Radioflyer

• View Profile
New Varieze
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:09:19 AM »
Congrats on your new bird Eric. I know you've been around the block looking at planes and it sounds like you wound up with a very nice one. It sounds like you got a personal rocket.

Offline Gilbert DRIEUX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:58 PM »
Quote from: "jdubner"
eric r,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the fraternity.  

I know Bob and agree with your assessment of him: he's one fine gent and Linda is a wonderful lady.  When I visit in Cody he provides me hangar space so I'm particularly pleased to see your Varieze gone -- now there'll only be two EZs in that little hangar :-)

If you'd like a few digital images of your airplane while airborne (taken by my GIB while in formation w/ Bob last summer), Email me at jdubner at yahoo dot com.

Hi,
Few weeks ago I saw this plane at parking at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ via Google-Earth  !
But there is now new satelitte pictures, and she is yet not aparent .

Regards.
Gilbert
VE N 1736
F-PMPZ
Lyc O-235 C2C
@ LFPK / France

Offline Ghost-Rider

• View Profile
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=223342&ck
Congrats on new VE
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 05:53:55 AM »
Eric,

Congrats on your new VE, and making that long Cross Country safely.

Is it powered by an 0-200?

Look forward to seeing you fly into TMB or FXE.

Ghost
VariEZe
N297TV

Offline Ron Springer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
I bought the 2800+ hr VariEze mentioned above (now 3087.4 hrs) in July and flew it from Cody, Wyoming home to a hangar in Virginia. I made it to Rough River with the plane too. I would also echo the original poster's comments on the hospitality shown by Bob and Linda. The trip out there to buy and learn to fly the plane, and the flight back home, was a life experience that will always be high on my list!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:25:30 AM by Ron Springer »

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:07:17 AM »
Bob is a great guy!  We used to meet up at every Jackpot flyin  - a flyin we are trying to start up again...

Get in touch and I'll locate your nearest canard guys for advice and help, possible hangar share issues.  There are clubs of 900 and 625 with address lists - and a number in neither club.

We have a video library, various Rutan documents and blurbs on the many unique qualities of these planes.

David at CanardFinder dot net
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com

Offline nasus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »
Has anyone successfully modified the Veri ez wing attachment to rid the corrosion problem?  I have wondered why it might be feasible to make a fiberglass coupling attaching to the center and wing spars with bolt through likened to the Long ez ?

Offline dorr

• View Profile
    • http://www.canardfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
One guy is building a wholly new Varieze.  He's mounted a new set of Varieze wings on a new Varieze Spar just as the Long EZ is mounted (3 bolts).  He's tested it for strength.  His name is Tom Landgrebe - and I can send a photo if you get in touch David at CanardFinder dot net.

Beagle
David A.C.Orr
"Beagle"
www.canardfinder.com