Author Topic: Lokking to buy a Long Eze  (Read 3286 times)

Offline skydive2063

• View Profile
Lokking to buy a Long Eze
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »
Just found you all tonight, and I am looking to buy a Long Eze. I live on an airport with a 4,000' paved runway, 30' MSL. My pilot neighbors, who are never shy about sharing opinions, have told me that our runway is too short for an Long Eze, or any other canard for that matter. I thought I might start my research with the take off and landing specs befor going any further. Any and all help from experienced Long Eze pilot/owners would be very much appreciated. My e-mail is alltheroys@earthlink.net. telephone 727-847-3390. Thanks in advance for the help. Kurt

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Re: Looking to Buy a Long Eze
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:45:03 PM »
Kurt,

In America everyone is entitled to their opinions even if they're wrong but your pilot neighbors are pretty clueless.  4000 feet of runway at 30 MSL  is pretty deluxe by most standards.

3000 of runway at some unspecified density altitude is what most EZ flyers consider the minimum for low-time pilots.  With experience, one can handle somewhat less with a high degree of safety.   Gross weight plays a large part of it for takeoffs and speed control does for landings.  (I.e. be light and be on speed if takeoff or landing distance is critical.)

My own O235 Long-EZ does just fine dual with 20 gallons of fuel on a 2900' runway at 2240 MSL (Sunrise Skypark, ID40) unless it's very hot (high D.A.).  Even then, some headwind makes it easy.  On the other hand, full fuel or a couple of porcine aviators at high D.A. will water your eyes as the runway goes behind you yet the canard won't fly.

You'll do just fine with 4K' at sea level.  Illegitimi non carborundum.

What airport do you live on?  Except for the neighbors, it sounds like a good one :-)

--
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1

Offline skydive2063

• View Profile
Looking to buy a Long Eze
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:34:11 PM »
Thanks for the information. Interestingly, I looked at a job in Boise a while back, and checked out your community I think. If I'm not mistaken, it was parallel to a river just about due west of Boise? We live at Hidden Lake Airport (FA40), just north of Tampa. We have everything from Cheyennes to Cubs flying out of here, so I really wondered how a canard couldn't get in and out of here. I am going to sell my AA1B taildragger, and then set about a serious Long Eze search. I would love to talk to you directly if you have the time, as I have a lot of questions, and am a poor typist. If you could, send a contact number. Thanks again for your time. Kurt

Offline Joe Dubner

• View Profile
    • RV 227JD
Re: Looking to buy a Long Eze
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:36:03 PM »
Kurt,

Very good -- yep, that's the place <g>.   Some lots are have the river in the back yard and the runway in the front.  Others are further from both.  I have a hangar and a 2A building lot there but live 160 NM away (long story <g>).

I just sent you an Email message; if you don't receive it, contact me at jdubner at yahoo dot com or cell 208 305 2688.

--
Joe
Joe Dubner
Independence, OR
Aircraft with APRS:
http://209.237.86.241/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi?aprs=1